Bike imports into UK fall to 10 year low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I realise this is a regular line of yours but you do have the option of addressing the technical issue raised by rollo. We may learn something. I might as I have no experience of press fit BBs. Do they have any advantages? Over to you.

Well to be honest I have never had a problem with any of the 3 bikes that have press fit, despite using the jet wash on them, old style used to wear out faster in my humble.

Probably in the same cupboard as the bread maker and the soda stream.9

Yes reminds me a lot of when the wife's parents died and we cleared their house. Her old man could not resist a gadget, usually from one of them advertising magazines that came with the Sunday papers, a sort of down-market JML.

Most of the gadgets / latest must haves looked as if they had been experimented with once then chucked in a draw.

screenman

Legendary Member

Bread makers are great, ours get used. Better to have tried something's in life a found them not too your liking than go through life wondering.

Well to be honest I have never had a problem with any of the 3 bikes that have press fit, despite using the jet wash on them, old style used to wear out faster in my humble.

That's why I think mine is defective. I clean and lube the bike regularly - but I don't dismantle the thing every few and grease all the contact points - if you need to do that IMO you are sticking a plaster on a faulty bike.

You've got a non faulty one - I've got a dud. !!!

That's why I think mine is defective. I clean and lube the bike regularly - but I don't dismantle the thing every few and grease all the contact points - if you need to do that IMO you are sticking a plaster on a faulty bike.

You've got a non faulty one - I've got a dud. !!!
It has to be fit for purpose and is expected to last a reasonable amount of time. Now before anyone shoots me down, I know it is hard to define what is reasonable but I am sure that Martin Lewis would agree on that one. The onus has to be on the shop really to prove that it is faulty, unless someone says otherwise. We should not have to put up with faulty goods what ever they are. Sometimes you just get the odd one, sometimes perhaps a batch problem. You only wish that the manufacturers would come clean if there is a problem. Good luck anyway.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It has to be fit for purpose and is expected to last a reasonable amount of time. Now before anyone shoots me down, I know it is hard to define what is reasonable but I am sure that Martin Lewis would agree on that one. The onus has to be on the shop really to prove that it is faulty, unless someone says otherwise. We should not have to put up with faulty goods what ever they are. Sometimes you just get the odd one, sometimes perhaps a batch problem. You only wish that the manufacturers would come clean if there is a problem. Good luck anyway.

This is why disputes are often difficult and expensive to solve. Generally we rely on good faith all round to solve any issues as that is the best course all parties. But unfortunately, many choose the difficult route. If the shop wants no part in it then you have to decide whether to pursue matters further. Often just the threat of action can shake the tree enough but more often than not you could end up in a lengthy potentially costly dispute with no guarantee of success.

And the pram marked urgent delivered as a wedding present.

Modern society seems to take a lot of rubbish not fit for purpose,
the manufacturers get away with way too much, press fit is a cheaper
option to manufacture, that’s why they do it, if they had to make the press fit
to a high enough tolerance that would guarantee less problems with creaking,
then it would be easier to go back to threaded bb types, because the same amount
of tolerance that would make a press fit bb creak would have no effect on a threaded bb.

It’s all about the money saved doing it wrong instead of right.

Is that the reason for them then shadow? For I did ask screennan, who raged against dads, what the advantages of them were.
But noted that he didn't answer the question.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Back to the thread title,
I think the downturn in sales is partly due to the actual amount of people who have come into cycling over the last ten to fifteen years has now plateaued, and those who have bought low or high end bikes are keeping them and maintaining them, either themselves or at bike shops. There are a finite amount of new people who want to cycle each year, and this has been reached. There has been a meteoric rise in cycling, but that rise will inevitably come to an end. This is not to say that bike sales will stop, but not continue at the rate it has been.
There are lots of cyclists around my way, particularly an increase in women riding dutch/ Miss Marple style bikes doing the shopping at the local shops. I find this encouraging.

This is why disputes are often difficult and expensive to solve. Generally we rely on good faith all round to solve any issues as that is the best course all parties. But unfortunately, many choose the difficult route. If the shop wants no part in it then you have to decide whether to pursue matters further. Often just the threat of action can shake the tree enough but more often than not you could end up in a lengthy potentially costly dispute with no guarantee of success.

Its not just the shop - the manufacturer s of the bike are adamant there is no problem and has said it creaks "because I am an idiot"
Finally I got a shop to say it could possibly be a frame fault. The manafacturer then got in touch with shop - don't know what was said but the shop then denied saying it was a frame fault.
My plan is to ride the bike at a lot of busy events when someone says " your bikes making a racket" I will say " no all carbon bikes are like that per the name on the side of my bike"

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Back to the thread title,
I think the downturn in sales is partly due to the actual amount of people who have come into cycling over the last ten to fifteen years has now plateaued, and those who have bought low or high end bikes are keeping them and maintaining them, either themselves or at bike shops. There are a finite amount of new people who want to cycle each year, and this has been reached. There has been a meteoric rise in cycling, but that rise will inevitably come to an end. This is not to say that bike sales will stop, but not continue at the rate it has been.
There are lots of cyclists around my way, particularly an increase in women riding dutch/ Miss Marple style bikes doing the shopping at the local shops. I find this encouraging.
The boom in cycling has been largely down to the middle aged well heeled. That forms by far the largest demographic you see out on "Serious" bikes and wearing all the kit. The percentage of youngsters into cycling is tiny in comparison so when the older ones get fed up or grow too old there will be few coming through to take their place. The whole thing mirrors the motorcycle boom of the mid nineties which lasted for around fifteen years and then collapsed, taking a huge number of retailers with them. And the age demographic was exactly the same.

screenman

Legendary Member
Is that the reason for them then shadow? For I did ask screennan, who raged against dads, what the advantages of them were.
But noted that he didn't answer the question.

Good reason for that, in truth never having had a problem I have never needed to give it any thought. The dad's thing was a bit tongue in cheek, but you got too admit it holds a little truth.

Top Bottom