Bike insurance for outdoor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l’ve just bought a Boardman pro carbon C7 with disc brakes as l’ve heard a lot of good about these bikes so what are your honest opinions on these bikes and does any of you have one and pros and cons on them.
Anyway the main reason for this thread is insurance for the bike while out and about ..
I have house insurance and outbuilding, but l would like to cover it while out as you never know with so much theft going on.
Can someone tell me of some good bike insurance to take out ..at a reasonable monthly cost ,the bike was £1,400 .
Or could/would it be possible to put it on my house insurance..

vickster

Legendary Member
My bikes are covered away from home on my contents insurance. Costs me a few quid extra if that for 3 named bikes (the others are lower value and covered unnamed)

Specific bike insurance seems to be around 10% of the value as an annual premium

Just ask your home insurers :smile:

If you’re happy with your new bike, it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks :okay: a picture or two is obligatory tho ;)

House insurance as a specified extra with cover away from home. They normally stipulate it has to be locked to something. I think I've got 4 specified bikes on mine over 500 in value for about £30 extra on the house insurance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ours are itemised on our house insurance, Mrs Gti takes a lot of time every year making sure the insurers understand the value of the bikes (once she has finished threatening to go elsewhere because they have tried to jack up the premium again).

But they are only covered while inside the locked, alarmed house. Outside they aren't covered, which is why they are only ever under our bums or in sight of where we are sitting. I may be wrong but I don't think they are covered outside even if the lock is cut.

mgs315

I personally go with ETA insurance on mine as it’ll cover me even if I have a nasty smash on it or have problems claiming from a third party if they’re at fault. Also for personal injury reasons. Have to be a member of BC for the club riding so I’ve plenty of liability insurance too.

Also comes with breakdown cover which *touch wood* I’ve not had to use!

tom73

Guru
http://bikmo.com all the way what you see is what you get 3 levels of cover to pick from. No costly add one's 3rd party and personal injury ect inc No excess and new for old too
Not badly priced
If you feel it's the right one for you DM me and I can send you a link for a discount.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
http://bikmo.com all the way what you see is what you get 3 levels of cover to pick from. No costly add one's 3rd party and personal injury ect inc No excess and new for old too
Not badly priced
If you feel it's the right one for you DM me and I can send you a link for a discount.
Fine if you can’t do through contents insurance. Just did a quick quote for my postcode, £110 for the most basic (no legal, injury, 3rd party). I insure all my bikes (x5, total value around £6.5k new for old), all my house contents and buildings for around £220 this year...BC cover the legal stuff for £35 (which I’ll likely save in Halfords discounts ;) )

tom73

Guru
Fine if you can’t do through contents insurance. Just did a quick quote for my postcode, £110 for the most basic (no legal, injury, 3rd party). I insure all my bikes (x5, total value around £6.5k new for old), all my house contents and buildings for around £220 this year...BC cover the legal stuff for £35 (which I’ll likely save in Halfords discounts ;) )

As you say fine if you can't/ don't want to. I don't need/ want BC membership get discount a different way. Adding to home insurance not worth it wipe's our any discount/ cash back I get on home insurance which is a lot cheeper for me as no need for buildings cover and remove all extra's Adding to home insurance won't cover me going event's either bike insurance will.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Coop insurance for mine, and the ones over £1000 are itemised. I can confirm they are good as they have just paid out for my son losing his camera and lens (about £900). Had equipment replaced next day.

Top Bottom