Bike Light Power Connectors - anyone know what they are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
It's getting to the time of year where I try and remember where the charger is for my lights. I have a perfectly good front light, and a perfectly good charger (I did find it in the end) and a perfectly good battery. However, the cable on the battery is rubbish - I've cut the plug off twice and chopped out a 'bad' bit of wire, so it's now quite short. What I'd like to do is put new wire on, but as the plugs on the battery, light and charger all match - and more importantly, are moulded on - I need to source some waterproof connectors that are good for bike battery power (I've a feeling it's about 8v?) so I can just cut off the old ones and replace them, with a new cable on the battery.

However, there are so many to choose from on Farnell and RS, I can't quite find anything suitable - could anyone recommend something I could use? Ideally it needs to be a plug / socket with a gasket to keep the water out obviously. Thanks in advance.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
The connector shouldn't need to be waterproof for low voltages. I've done a ton of motorbike wiring (12V) and neither the OEM stuff I've seen nor my work has been waterproof and it all works fine, even when it's routinely sprayed with muddy water.

With that in mind, you could use:
a) spade\bullet connectors - cheap and compact
b) 2-pin block connectors eg. Mate-N-Lock - bulkier, but possibly more convenient
c) fancy waterproof connectors eg. Superseal - more expensive, can be very bulky

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks - I reasoned this too in the end and ordered some cheap 2.5mm plugs and sockets off eBay the other day. My thought was that if it's a problem I'll just wrap the connection in insulation tape in winter.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You are better off using either completely non-waterproof connectors, like spades, bullets or Tamiya, in which case water gets out as easily as it got in, and the connection dries off quickly, or completely waterproof connectors, which generally involves o-rings etc.
If you have what one might term water resistant connectors, water eventually gets in, and then hangs around festering and corroding things.

Top Bottom