Bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliglynn

Über Member
Kenny, I agree you shouldn't go for the halogen set. I had a cateye equivalent of those a while back. The battery life was shocking, and the whole setup was quite heavy. I have the magicshine 808 now and am very happy with it. It's blindingly bright, lightweight & compact, and outperforms big name lights of twice the price!

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
The rear consists of a flashlight, this one here, to which I have recently added this P60 drop-in here. Total $18.
This now gives me the flash I want, although it does flash pretty fast. Over the end I have fitted a diffuser to give me more light to the sides. The diffuser is made from a liquid detergent bottle cap which does extend out a bit. This now gets rid of the most of the throw/flood effects and just makes it extremely bright.

I have fitted an extra Magicshine to the front, one can now be aimed down to give me the light I need for most of my travelling. The other is aimed much higher, when I am going over the moors in the forest I need to see way down the road for deer. There is not much traffic here, and if a car comes I just put my hand over the light to block it off. New pictures posted here? I will also get round to showing a pic of the modde rear flashlight too.

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Updates to my rear lights:

CIMG4694.jpg

CIMG4693.jpg

Rear flashlight video

Rear Smart 1/2W video

Zoiders

I'd be wary of two steady lights up front - there's a chance you'll be mistaken for a car far away, rather than a bike up close (at a glance, at least).

My other criticism would be that you don't seem to have much up front for side visibility - personally, I like these; Knog Bullfrog - good flashing patterns, and the white translucent casing spills a fair amount of light to the side.

In back, I have Mars 4.0, Smart 1/2w (same as your Lunar). Occasionally I fit a Torch 9x too - not bright, but has an excellent attention grabbing flash pattern. This light is sold under lots of other names, including (I think, this Deal Extreme unit- http://www.dealextre...ils.dx/sku.3639 )
I run a P4 emitter torch on the front and I solved the side visabilty proble by making a light ring for it from a flexy white plastic document folder, just cut a strip of plastic out to size and cowl it around the bezel.

I am not keen on backupz or knogs outside of town or on unlit sections, they flash light everywhere blinding you - not just forwards, so you are getting a reduced frame rate version of whats going on.

Top Bottom