Bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter10

I'll add to this thread (now I finally found my camera).

Not the best pictures but they show the lights fairly well. I need to add something a bit brighter for my back light, but my front ones are pretty damn good.

About 50ft down the garden. On medium spot. I hardly ever use the full spot as they are blinding.
IMG_0100-2.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0098-1.jpg

Back:
IMG_0096.jpg

Both:
IMG_0097-3.jpg

I tend to have one of the back lights solid and one flashing. On the front one is usually in as wide a spot as it can on the ground so I can see where I am going and one on a spotlight like a car headlight so people can see me coming. They can strobe too if I am on a VERY dark road or if it gets foggy.

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Now I have a Magicshine fitted I find car drivers dip their headlights from a long way away

tincaman - for some reason DX were (and still are) shipping the "belt clip" pouches rather than the wrap around ones with the head lamps. MS's new 818 rear light (which uses the same battery, or y cable) has the "proper" wrap around pouch.

As for light comparison shots, they're useless unless you post the camera settings used. MTBR use a specific set of settings so you can compare it against other lights etc.

I was looking at the Magicshine and thinking it looked pretty good, but then remembered that last time I bought a light overseas Her Majesty's Robbers and Cutthroats stung me for about £20 import duty. Did you have to pay anything like this tincaman, or did you manage to use some 'creative packaging'? :biggrin:
Also, looking at the charger it appeared to be a transformer with a U.S.-spec plug moulded onto it, so I presume you have to use a travel adaptor to plug the charger into?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm holding back on the Magicshine as they have just sorted out a new battery for the single head unit that's even better than the triple unit's battery...I don't need any more front lights, but a rear magicshine is available that I'm tempted to have - will work fab on my panniers, BUT......with the new battery with the indicator would be the business............

I was looking at the Magicshine and thinking it looked pretty good, but then remembered that last time I bought a light overseas Her Majesty's Robbers and Cutthroats stung me for about £20 import duty. Did you have to pay anything like this tincaman, or did you manage to use some 'creative packaging'? :biggrin:
Also, looking at the charger it appeared to be a transformer with a U.S.-spec plug moulded onto it, so I presume you have to use a travel adaptor to plug the charger into?

They tend to do it more for packages from the US than China in my experience.

And £20 is a lot, at £50 (considering 50 is the value with postage) it shouldn't attract duty so you pay just VAT + handling fee. For this reason it's better not to take the "EMS" (courier) route as it will come in via Parcel Force etc. Problem is sometimes they decide their own value so could assume the value of double easily then tax it :tongue:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd be wary of two steady lights up front - there's a chance you'll be mistaken for a car far away, rather than a bike up close (at a glance, at least).

My other criticism would be that you don't seem to have much up front for side visibility - personally, I like these; Knog Bullfrog - good flashing patterns, and the white translucent casing spills a fair amount of light to the side.

In back, I have Mars 4.0, Smart 1/2w (same as your Lunar). Occasionally I fit a Torch 9x too - not bright, but has an excellent attention grabbing flash pattern. This light is sold under lots of other names, including (I think, this Deal Extreme unit- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3639 )

fossyant

I'm holding back on the Magicshine as they have just sorted out a new battery for the single head unit that's even better than the triple unit's battery...I don't need any more front lights, but a rear magicshine is available that I'm tempted to have - will work fab on my panniers, BUT......with the new battery with the indicator would be the business............

B0ll0x to it......... just ordered 2 rear Magicshines :wacko: :biggrin:

fossyant

PS the new battery is being sold on ebay by a UK seller for £39.99 (bit steep) but seeing as the new battery is currently only sold as a 'full set' then it's not bad. £10 premium on the older type.

Just search for "900 battery bike"

Uses halogen bulbs, less efficient, heavier (battery and lights), bulbs will blow just like your household ones.

B0ll0x to it......... just ordered 2 rear Magicshines :wacko: :biggrin:

I have a rear and I reckon 2 might be overkill. I run mine now along side the smart lunar 1/2w (only £10 online, bargain). Perfect combo imo.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've just picked up a 1W superbright LED head lamp, (the kind that straps onto your head) and after some fiddling I've fitted this onto one of my cycling helmets, a quick ride out into the dark has proven it's worth and I'll see if I can get more of these and find a way to fit them onto my bike, they're a bargain at £6 from a local Tk Maxx.

Top Bottom