Bike locked and no key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpleR

Guru
Hi all.
My problem is that I have a bike with a kryptonite curly lock through its back wheel, and I lost the key about 2 weeks ago. Do you think my LBS would be willing to remove it for me, or does that seem too dodgy. or maybe this isnt such an unusual request and I shouldn't worry about asking?
Any other ideas on how to remove it, if bike shop wouldn't do such a job. Am a girlywirl with no bolt cutters immediately handy...

diapason

If the bike isn't locked to an immovable object, perhaps you can take it to your LBS or a garage. Otherwise, a helpful mechanic with a boltcutter or cordless angle grinder will probably be able to unlock it in seconds. Those Kryptonite chains are pretty feeble - I saw one cut easily with boltcutters at a 'lock your bike' display recently. (Cut by the Old Bill in case you're wondering).

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Those Kryptonite chains are pretty feeble - I saw one cut easily with boltcutters at a 'lock your bike' display recently. (Cut by the Old Bill in case you're wondering).

+1. I bought a bike once with one of those curly cables wrapped around the frame and keys lost years ago. It took seconds to remove with a cutting disc (not unlike this) on my electric drill. The interesting thing is that the semi-transparent plastic cover acts as a magnifying lens, making the weedy metal cable looks a few times thicker than it actually is!

Top Bottom