Bike maintainence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Sit down with a mug of coffee / tea and LOOK at it, you reall will be amazed at what you can figure out just by looking at the job and seeing what goes where and what all the bits do.

OP
OP
boxer

boxer

Regular
Lots of sound advice guys! Cheers for all the input! Ill be a pro in no time ^_^

Get your dad to show you. The Internet is great for some things, but it helps to have someone to ask when learning a new trick.

Getting tyres on and off rims is tricky sometimes. Likewise getting the tube nicely located so you don't pinch it.

Everyone has their own way, but most ways are broadly similar.

Changing a tyre on a bicycle is simple only to those who do it. You are no different from anyone else in finding it a kerfuffle before being taught.

I've shown my kids over the years and it's been interesting to see what their assumptions were and whet they found difficult as they learned.

A lot of it is to do with how comfortable you are putting a lot of pressure on the beading of a tyre and knowing how hard you can 'shove' to pop the beading over a rim.

Tyre levers (often necessary on non-folding tyres) can also appear to be bizarre Oriental torture devices until their use is taught by someone who can lean over and assist when needed.

For all those reasons and more... ask your parent next time you're around to show you how it's done.

It can take a few goes to get it, but when you do it will stay with you forever. :smile:

Would echoe all the above, get a stool and a cuppa, sit and ponder looking at yr bike.
Look at how things seem to fit together before u take them apart !
I got a bike specific tool set from Lidl for £30ish - has all the odd spanners u need for bikes.
Decathalon have one too
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tool-case-id_4760419.html

Always go for good tools not cheapies. Don't need many anyway - think about 4 - 6 spanners (ring / open ended)
an allen key set, couple of screwdrivers and pair of nose pliers for cables. Never use adjustables.

compo

Veteran
I don't think it so important for bikes but when doing anything mechanical or electrical use the camera on your phone to photograph things before and during dismantling. Makes life much easier when reassembling.

Blue

Legendary Member
It helps if you don't mind getting it wrong and just keep trying.

The first time I had a go at tinkering with my bike I went out on a ride and was lucky not to fall off as my seatpost slid into the seat tube (clamp not tightened enough) and then my bars twisted as I put my hands on the hoods (bolt not tightened enough).

I can now do the basics safely - I hope!!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Akb - that is the exact fear i have.

I hope to set aside some time this weekend and have another go at it.
Just echoing a lot of the above really but I'd say get stuck in. There's very little to no chance of causing irreparable, expensive damage so give it a go. I've always fixed my own bikes but it didn't come naturally and it took a lot of trial and error to work things out and then to develop my own way of doing things. If your dad is one of those people who is naturally good at explaining things then get him to supervise you as you start out. Just being told how to do something is not as efficient a way of learning as actually doing it yourself under instruction.
Most of all though just give it a go. You have nothing to lose and being able to carry out small repairs oneself will make life easier and cheaper and may well stop your bike being consigned to the garage forever.
As well as the internet and your dad for advice there are always people here at Cyclechat ready, willing and very able to help out with advice and invaluable know how.
Good luck.:smile:
P.S. you are certainly not the only person to struggle. I've been messing around with bikes for ages and there are still things that I haven't done that I'd need to get advice for and look up on youtube to actually see it being done and I'd still have to do them a couple of times to get it right and a few more times to get proficient. Stick-at-it-ude is what you need.

Trail Child

I'm going to wait until I can pick up a beater bike before I start learning & practicing bike maintenance. I certainly will not try and teach myself on my beautiful commuter and on my new road bike (when it's finally here) especially since I get free tune ups & maintenance on them from my LBS. I just don't trust myself on anything but a beater bike just yet.

Wish I had had that support - no father... really good of you to offer someone closer that.
generally I have worked on the grounds that if I really screw it up, there is the LBS to bail to, but it helps I have married a mechanic (though it was on a much larger scale in a cotton mill so I don't tend to let him near the finer things that must not be overtightened like headsets.... he operates the tighen until it no longer moved approach!:whistle:)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have learnt by just having a go

Same here. I used to be scared of mechanical things, but I also have an inquisitive nature, so these days, if I want to know how something works, I just take it apart...

Of course, if you take this approach, you have to be prepared for occasionally not being able to put it back together again. BTDTGTTS. Fortunately, it's not as common as you might fear.

Taking pictures of what it's supposed to look like before you dismantle it is a very good idea.

Always use the right tool for the job is probably the most important piece of advice I could give.

d.

Top Bottom