Bike maintainence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boxer

Regular
So i have been riding for a while, but despite my best efforts i am completely useless when it comes to anything practical.

So much so, that often when i get a flat tire, the bike gets put back in the garage until i next see my dad as i simple cannot do it, and get in a right mess.

1. please tell me im not the only person who struggles
2. what has helped you guys get better at it?

1. Can't help here

2. Practice, Sheldon Brown, Park Tools website, YouTube

Herr-B

1. You're not the only person that struggles, although I can, and do, change tyres/fix tubes with no little hassle.
2. Not relying on my dad to do it. Practice. And nowadays there's almost nothing you can't find a helpful youtube video for (although titles are sometimes misleading!), and there's always the friendly chaps and chapettes here at CC.

Get your dad to supervise and advise you, but you do the work.

compo

Veteran
I have learnt by just having a go, sometimes scratching my head wondering where I have gone wrong, but usually able to sort out things eventually. For routine maintenance bikes are pretty simple things really. When I was learning we didn't have the internet and my bible for many years was Richard's Bicycle Book, the earlier paperback version. That book is a bit out of date now for modern bikes and like many other people I have come to rely on the internet and groups such as this one for advice.

One thing I would say is you never stop learning. Each new advance in cycle technology brings a new learning requirement but even so I still say that once you grasp the essentials bikes are not that complicated.

The best time to learn to change a tyre/tube is when you don't need to.

Do a bit of reading/watching

When all is quiet on the home front, washing up done, kids (if any) in bed, go out to the garage and try it. Make mistakes, take your time, learn.

Over time, move onto other things you can do to the bike.

10 year ago I was in a similar position to you. I had just started cycle commuting and used to take the bike to the shop for a puncture repair. The last time before that I had ridden a bike was before I could drive.

Now I do it all. If I don't have the tools for a job I use a local place that hires out cycle stands and tools by the hour (cheaply). In fact the bike I am commuting on today is the the bike that I first bought 10 years ago. Since then it has been completely stripped down and rebuilt. By me.

akb

Veteran
I used to worry about trying to repair/replace a tube through fear of causing another problem elsewhere on the bike which i simply couldnt afford to sort. I have now learnt that changing/repairing a tube is pretty easy and my worries were due to ignorance. Give it a go, the worst you will need to do if you cock it up is buy a new tube which are at most a fiver.

OP
OP
boxer

boxer

Regular
Akb - that is the exact fear i have.

I hope to set aside some time this weekend and have another go at it.

Nosaj

I'm rubbish too but I think its more confidence in that I am worried that if I fettle I will make it worse, not better as opposed to just being a total mechanical numpty.

Give me a room to plaster or a stud wall to put up, a Garden wall to build, a patio a shed or flat pack stuff and I am fine. Electrics and water I leave well alone though

(now that the missus and the kids have also got bikes the maintenance costs will really start to stack up if I don't DIY so to remedy it all I have booked on Downland's 2 days course next month

stephen.rooke

So i have been riding for a while, but despite my best efforts i am completely useless when it comes to anything practical.

So much so, that often when i get a flat tire, the bike gets put back in the garage until i next see my dad as i simple cannot do it, and get in a right mess.

1. please tell me im not the only person who struggles
2. what has helped you guys get better at it?

keep tinkering untill you get it right, youtubes a big help. i can do all the basic maintenance on my bike now, gears, breaks wheel truing etc. buckled my wheel the other day while riding home from work, got the spoke spanner out and was fixed in a few seconds and i could keep on riding :biggrin:

Try getting a copy of Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, or road bike maintenance....
really useful, step by step instructions with a reference to complexity and the likes, so you know to start with the easy stuff. have you sorted and feeling more confident in no time...
BTW I prefer the paper copy, that way I can cover it in oily fingerprints and make it looked used really quickly - no really, I prefer to have it easily available ready to refer to, something no so easy with e-books, for me at least.

OP
OP
boxer

boxer

Regular
Thanks to a couple of links on this page, and the advice, i managed to swap over an inner tube last night.
It actually wasn't that difficult, although having a decent guide was re-assuring at some points.

Hopefully, if i keep up the practice ill be a pro in no time.

Big boy

I have found that a bit of preperation helps.
Get yourself and your bike ready for the job in hand, maybe in the garage or garden.
Find all the tools you may need, go for the right size spanner rather than pickin up the adjustable.
Im not going to do a step by step on a puncture repair but a few things that may help a little.
Remember that, for example a small spanner like a 10mm wil be a lot shorter than say a15mm.
Simplifying a lot here spanners are hand tools, so a 10mm nut can be tightened with short 10mm spanner.
The bigger the size the more effort may be required to undo retighten etc, hence the extra lenght/ leverage.
An adjustable does not work like that, one of mine is over 12 inches long, ok it can tighten a small nut, but will more than likely strip the thread. (especially if you havent got the feel for it)
As the others have said theres loads of u tube / net stuff out there.
If you really want to give it a go buy yourself a little toolkit.
Good luck...

OP
OP
boxer

boxer

Regular
I have found that a bit of preperation helps.
Get yourself and your bike ready for the job in hand, maybe in the garage or garden.
Find all the tools you may need, go for the right size spanner rather than pickin up the adjustable.
Im not going to do a step by step on a puncture repair but a few things that may help a little.
Remember that, for example a small spanner like a 10mm wil be a lot shorter than say a15mm.
Simplifying a lot here spanners are hand tools, so a 10mm nut can be tightened with short 10mm spanner.
The bigger the size the more effort may be required to undo retighten etc, hence the extra lenght/ leverage.
An adjustable does not work like that, one of mine is over 12 inches long, ok it can tighten a small nut, but will more than likely strip the thread. (especially if you havent got the feel for it)
As the others have said theres loads of u tube / net stuff out there.
If you really want to give it a go buy yourself a little toolkit.
Good luck...

I think the key to success this time was that i had set aside a good amount of time, allowing me to be very paitent and take my time.

Top Bottom