Bike nicked - suggestions for replacement please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wajp

Hi All,

Just had my Specialized Crossroads (2005 I think) nicked. Has been an excellent bike and a real shame it has gone. And with it: rack, mudguards, good wheels, spd pedals.

Now need to get up and running quickly again.
Requirements:
Frame suitable for 6'4" with proportionate legs
Decent wheels for my modest but substantial weight (again: proportionate) and daily c.5 mile e.w. commute over bumpy and pot-holed roads.
Option for full mudguards (essential) and rack (when I get round to it; non-essential). I generally use a shoulder bag rather and rarely panniers.
Sturdy frame, unattractive to thieves but solid. Versatile. No requirement to be light.
No great hills where I live at the mo but certainly want a bit of a range.

Limited budget. Let's say pushable £500max, ideally £300. Seems second-hand territory! Need wheels ASAP but can spend more later to bring up to scratch.

Ideally want something quicker than the hybrid (which wasn't slow for my daily ride) but still suitable for heavy traffic and pot-holes. Something I wouldn't feel embarrassed riding at an uncompetitive triathlon or riding for longer than a couple of hours (aluminium frame and upright position caused problems for me on the old bike on long rides).

Would love to pick up something like a Dawes Galaxy on Ebay but have no experience buying from there. Not even sure what size frame - 60-62cm? Would e.g. Ribble Winter / Audax be suitable? Tifosi CK7 not sturdy enough?

All suggestions welcome.
Also welcome to suggestions for faster hybrids.

Thanks,

WAJP

Top Bottom