Bike prices - I don’t get it !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liffy99

Über Member
Just stepped back to consider . . . looking at a ti frame bike at the moment costing between £2.5k and £3k. For the same money I can buy a brand new 125cc motor bike. Now, I suspect economies of scale might be similar between a mass market motor bike ( which don’t sell in the volumes that cars do) and a mass market decent bike. Given the vast leap in engineering, range of materials, regulatory standards etc between the two - are we being taken for a ride ? ( Pun intended 😂).
How can current cycle prices be justified ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looking at second hand bike prices is the opposite at the moment some right bargains to be had

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t need to put petrol in a push bike to make it go…nor tax or insure

You also don’t need to spend 2.5-3k on a push bike, they can be bought new for a few hundred. You’re comparing high end niche market vs. Low end mass market as you say.
If you think the moped is better, get one instead?
Or buy a second hand Ti bike for much less?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well my ti framed Kinesis ATRV3 cost me £3.2k and the current replacement valuation for insurance is £4k. It is set up for gravel/touring/winter riding, it would make a great commuter and if I wished changing the tyres, or perhaps the wheelset, would make an excellent summer bike.

It's effectively five bikes in one which for £3.2k is brilliant value. In terms of the money I spent I have no difficulty justifying it, not that i feel any need to. I get huge pleasure from this machine, the only justification I need.

Would I get this from a 125cc motorcycle? Nope.

If you look at the complexity of a motor bike and a bicycle excepting the engine, they are the same, then add the cost of keeping everything as light as possible on a bicycle...

For example disk brakes on both
Di2 on a bicycle is actually modified automotive tech (CAN bus)
Etc

Check out the cost of a carbon fibre fairing for a motor bike and compare with the cost of a carbon fibre bike frame.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just stepped back to consider . . . looking at a ti frame bike at the moment costing between £2.5k and £3k. For the same money I can buy a brand new 125cc motor bike. Now, I suspect economies of scale might be similar between a mass market motor bike ( which don’t sell in the volumes that cars do) and a mass market decent bike. Given the vast leap in engineering, range of materials, regulatory standards etc between the two - are we being taken for a ride ? ( Pun intended 😂).
How can current cycle prices be justified ?

In short yes,

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Liffy99 while I remember and FYI three of us turned up for a gravel ride on our new ti bikes; a Dolan, a Reilly and my Kinesis. Aside from very minor details such as number of bosses and entry points in the frame for cables, the frames are identical. We were all surprised and eventually amused!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@Liffy99 while I remember and FYI three of us turned up for a gravel ride on our new ti bikes; a Dolan, a Reilly and my Kinesis. Aside from very minor details such as number of bosses and entry points in the frame for cables, the frames are identical. We were all surprised and eventually amused!

Think the bulk of frames all come from the same factory in Taiwan. I remember Spa Cycles telling me that's where the Sabbath came from.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Think the bulk of frames all come from the same factory in Taiwan. I remember Spa Cycles telling me that's where the Sabbath came from.

Yes, on the basis of the pics you posted and their website it is the same frame. I was a bit peed off at first as I thought the Kinesis was a bit unique but now I just love the ride..........which is all it's about.

Top Bottom