Bike puncture- bike tyre seal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Park Tools are the best goto for instructional videos.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqR6nlZNeU8&vl=en

If you look at a rim it has a lower bit or well around the middle and the clincher bits that grip the tyre bead running around both edges.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim_(wheel)
The trick when fitting the tyre is to stuff and hold the wire bead of the tyre into the well ( starting near the valve. The smaller diameter of the well gives you more slack to pop the bead over the rim. Pinching the tyre all around with your hand can persuade the bead to drop into the well for more slack.
Also push the valve into its hole in the rim and seat the bead then pull the valve back out. Valves can stop the beads from seating properly.

Also check that the inner tube is not twisted and wont get pinched by the tyre. Putting a little air in makes this easier.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

OK. Everyone obviously wants you to learn to fix a puncture and you're keen to learn BUT until you do learn there are things you CAN do to help in the meantime.
Before I give you a few things to think about I've not tried these myself but I'm told by customers that these things have worked for them. You can get inner tubes with goo in them that seal a puncture as it happens. Your LBS will fit this for you but once fitted you should be OK for normal punctures. You can also get a puncture proof 'band' to fit inside the tyre that goes between the tyre and the tube. Again your LBS will fit this for you and this MAY provide the puncture protection you're looking for. That said nothing beats being able to sort things yourself but until your competent in changing a tube this is a reasonable half way house solution and should reduce the stress levels when out on the bike.
Thank you :wub::wub::wub: If that community bicycle centre thing next week won't help, I'm definitely doing the above!!

Sharky

Guru
Have you read the product reviews?
I did a tally on most of the reviews
- 5 hadn't used the product yet
- 13 had used it and were pleased with the result, although some of these used it on pushchairs
- 5 had fails and would not recommend the product and had to walk home.
- 1 had success, but then had a second flat in the other wheel and still had to walk home.

As a Plan A, its not a bad option to give you a quick temporary fix. But you need a sound Plan B. If you are happy to walk home and then go to the LBS and handover loads of cash, plus replacing the product, then fine. But really your Plan B should be to fix the Puncture at the road side with either a patch or a new tube.

Even if it gets you home, you will still need to do a proper repair job at some point.

So as others have said, learn how to fix at home. It will save you time and money long term. It would even be cost effective to buy a 2nd wheel to practice on.

Lozz360

Veteran
so is that only for hybrids and mountain bikes?
Well, yes. Those bikes tend to use Schroeder valves like car tyre valves. There are exceptions, but the tyre weld-in-a-can screws onto the valve to make the connection. However, your road bike tyres will use Presta type narrow valves not compatible with the tyre weld connection.

Sharky

Guru
You can get brass presta/schrader adaptors for less than £2 which should work. I had to use these with the first track pump I had.

Sharky

Guru
I put the inner tube in slightly pumped and then try fit the rim of the tyre around the wheel and it just didn't fit the right way. It's a road bike ,bontrager tlr tyres. I wasn't even changing the inner tube that time, i just kept mine in- as a sort of fake scenario so it was the right tube size.
As you say, a little bit of air in the tube to get the wrinkles out and push it into the rim well. Push the open side of the tyre against the tube/rim so that the tube is nicely seated. Then deflate and start pushing the open side of the tyre over and into the rim. Ideally by hand but if impossible use a tyre lever for the last few inches. Once in, go round the whole of the wheel, pressing the tyre in to make sure the inner isn't caught any where, then inflate and have a cup of tea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

As you say, a little bit of air in the tube to get the wrinkles out and push it into the rim well. Push the open side of the tyre against the tube/rim so that the tube is nicely seated. Then deflate and start pushing the open side of the tyre over and into the rim. Ideally by hand but if impossible use a tyre lever for the last few inches. Once in, go round the whole of the wheel, pressing the tyre in to make sure the inner isn't caught any where, then inflate and have a cup of tea.
Tempted to try it out for a 2nd time but if I fail, I won't be able to get to somewhere I need to be tomorrow on time.

Sharky

Guru
Tempted to try it out for a 2nd time but if I fail, I won't be able to get to somewhere I need to be tomorrow on time.
Leave it to a day when you will be free the next day. Better still try and pick up an old wheel that you can practice on.
Even buying a new wheel set would be good, then you can have one with heavier tyres on it for winter and your good set you can keep for the summer.

DRM

Guru
If the OP is struggling with fitting the current tyres, then marathon plus tyres will put them off cycling for life, as for tannus, the only place for solid tyres is a fork truck, Oreo muncher just keep your tyres blown up until you can get to your course, then they will show you what do, you can patch your tube, refit the whole lot to the wheel, and consider it job done, when your there remove and fit the tyre and tube several times, whilst someone is there to help so that you are comfortable with the technique needed

Don’t get marathon plus tyres, they’re awful heavy, slow, slippery things and if you do get a puncture, you’ll never get it on and off if you can’t sort your current tyres!
They're definitely slower than most tyres but I use them in winter and they're not slippy. And work well with my rims - easy on and off.

I think I've had two "p"s in about 10 winters.

By contrast I swapped them to Michelin endurance tyres briefly this year and had 2 flats in 3 weeks !

I find them bombproof. Even used off road in adventure races they were ok.

Top Bottom