Bike puncture- bike tyre seal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

no :sad: they're not doing courses because of covid

vickster

Legendary Member
The bit where you put the inner tube in and fit the tyre around the bike rim :sad: It's not even.
How do you mean? Can you get the tube inside the tyre and the tyre on both sides of the the rim? if you’ve managed that, have you pumped the tube up? Doing that will get the tyre the right size and even IME (checking of course that you don’t have the tube trapped between tyre and rim). What sort of bike /tyre is it?

Checking you do have the right size tube for the tyre?

DRM

Guru
You need to inflate the tube with a very small amount of air, to give it shape, then you can put the tyre and tube onto the rim, when you get the tyre on push it down into the rim before inflating fully to seat the tyre onto the rim

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

How do you mean? Can you get the tube inside the tyre and the tyre on both sides of the the rim? if you’ve managed that, have you pumped the tube up? Doing that will get the tyre the right size and even IME (checking of course that you don’t have the tube trapped between tyre and rim). What sort of bike /tyre is it?

I put the inner tube in slightly pumped and then try fit the rim of the tyre around the wheel and it just didn't fit the right way. It's a road bike ,bontrager tlr tyres. I wasn't even changing the inner tube that time, i just kept mine in- as a sort of fake scenario so it was the right tube size.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If I go to the dr bike-bike service and minor repairs session- do you think they can show me how to fix a tyre puncture?

Almost certainly. They're usually very willing to help. You'll need to book a slot in the current climate.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58STtUM-Wow&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=ParkTool

it's the bit from 3:53 time stamp that i cant do..

Big John

Guru
OK. Everyone obviously wants you to learn to fix a puncture and you're keen to learn BUT until you do learn there are things you CAN do to help in the meantime.
Before I give you a few things to think about I've not tried these myself but I'm told by customers that these things have worked for them. You can get inner tubes with goo in them that seal a puncture as it happens. Your LBS will fit this for you but once fitted you should be OK for normal punctures. You can also get a puncture proof 'band' to fit inside the tyre that goes between the tyre and the tube. Again your LBS will fit this for you and this MAY provide the puncture protection you're looking for. That said nothing beats being able to sort things yourself but until your competent in changing a tube this is a reasonable half way house solution and should reduce the stress levels when out on the bike.

Top Bottom