Bike racing on the Isle of Man in 1947

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I met an old chap at a boot fair today who spotted my bike and was telling me about his triumphs in 1947 on his Claude Butler on the Isle of Man. 25 mile races in 59mins etc. I promised to have a look on the internet to find out more for him so he could contact old chums if any were still alive! but all I can get is the blasted TT. Can anybody out there help me out please? Was there bike racing there/then etc? He still has his bike in the loft! :biggrin:

oxbob

http://www.manxvikingwheelers.com/vikings_history.htm this is all i could find, try the links page? bob

Keith Oates

Janner
I met a Scotsman in Hong Kong a few years back, he was then about 65yers old, who told me about racing in the I.O.M. and he said it was a great race with some big names attending (not the real pro's) but I can't remeber the years he was talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look up the Isle of Mann International Cycling Week - ran from the 1930's till 2003.

I raced in a couple of them in the early 90's, the Mountain TT circuit, 10 mile TT and 25 mile TT.

Great week of racing for cyclists - loads going on !

girofan

Isle of Man Week in the late fifties and early sixties had an influx of continental pro's including: Coppi, Anquetil, Gemminiani, Simpson, Altig and others. I think these were REAL pro's Keith!!! xx(:biggrin:

Top Bottom