Bike rack recommendations (I have no idea)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We often transport 2 hybrid bicycles (Liv Avail City and Giant Escape).

I have owned three cycle carriers.

One was a (Coach built) Motorhome specific job, so, not relevant to your situation.

One was a Halfords "clamp/strap on" for tailgate or boot. It worked ok, and, bikes (2) never actually fell off, but, I was never relaxed about using it.

The current one is a Thule tow-bar mounted model. Like this, but we have the two bike model.

Absolutely no contest, the Thule is superior. We have carried bicycles from UK, to Spain, Czech Republic, Sweden, no problem. The carrier clamps on tow-ball, and, will hinge down (with bikes loaded) to give access to boot, rear tail gate. The Carrier locks to tower, and, bikes lock individually to carrier, so, there is a degree of security. The carrier has been used on a BMW 3 Series Saloon, Renault Scenic and Renault Captur. I have also used it on an Autotrail Motorhome.

One consideration if using roof mounted carrier. A friend of mine has a Thule Roof mounted carrier, for two bicycles. Several times, he has been challenged on cross channel ferry crossing because of the extra height. I think, he has been charged a surcharge on at least one occasion, and, on another, he dismounted the bikes and stashed them inside the car (Ford Focus C-Max), not sure how he achieved that! The tow-bar mounted unit I have must be included in the length declared for ferry or tunnel, but, personally, this has never resulted in an additional charge.

Last edited:

battered

Guru
Roof mounted is best. Rear mounting risks obscuring the lights or reg plate, and if the police see this they will ticket you, a fine and 3 points.
However be careful entering car parks. I've seen 2 bikes damaged this way.

simongt

Guru
We have two unused roofrack mount locking Thule cycle carriers which we're going to be selling - long story. If you're interested, pm me and we can go from there. We're based in Norwich.

every single time, I had the bikes on the roof ready to go, and took them off the quickest, ready to go, while we waited for the others. I had the least hassle
I envy you. I've witnessed happy roof rack owners such as yourself! :-) & I've read positive comments from similar roof rack owners. however, I'm about 6' tall 62 yrs old, almost "fit" & I can't imagine wanting to lift 2-4 bikes over my head to load & unload them. I've got 1 quirky shoulder. Wifey is barely 5' & there's no way she's going to do that, ever. she can, however, load her own bike onto a hatch back style rack that I got for her car. personally, I like the hitch style racks. I have a small one that I use most of the time & a larger one for family vacations. using this kind of rack, still allows me to load a roof rack of other vacation gear. admittedly the kind of rack in this picture requires some foam padding here & there to protect some of the derailleurs or shifters & the tray-style hitch racks offer more protection. but I like having the weight closer to the center of gravity of the vehicle, than a tray style affords. I also use 3 stability straps so there isn't any movement of the load during maneuvers
Jeep fully loaded w bikes.jpg

to the OP take your time, the whole industry of bike racks is less than simple. don't fault yourself for no being able to make a snap decision. & wutz right for me, isn't necessarily right for you

stability straps:
stability straps.jpg

when it's just me, the little rack is right there, within easy reach. but it does limit using the hatch/cargo area
winter hybrid on Jeep.JPG

yerteasoot

I'm looking for advice on this, we want to transport 4 bikes on our car. its a Volvo s90. not sure whether to go roof or tow bar. the bikes are fairly lightweight on average 11kg per bike. can someone give me advice on taking 4 bikes on a car. thanks

Skiprat

Regular
I'm looking for advice on this, we want to transport 4 bikes on our car. its a Volvo s90. not sure whether to go roof or tow bar. the bikes are fairly lightweight on average 11kg per bike. can someone give me advice on taking 4 bikes on a car. thanks
I’ve got a xc60. Decided to put a towbar on and got one of these.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/r...carrier_no_939/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure_CMNY

not cheap but solid, I didn’t fancy trying to lift 4 bikes onto the roof plus no roof box. hth

figbat

Slippery scientist
I am a Thule fan. I have had a pair of appropriate bars and feet for every car I’ve had in the last 15 years or so. I initially used a single Thule 591 as I only took one bike anywhere. This carrier is very quick and easy to put a bike in. I have subsequently collected two more 591s so can take up to three on the roof now. Then, I added a Thule Velo Compact 3 bike, towbar-mounted rack to the fleet so now pick and choose as required. For a long journey we put three on the back and one on the roof, but have the option to put more on the roof if towing a trailer or caravan.

Both systems work very well - I prefer the roof due to the speed of mounting and dismounting. Yes, a heavier bike is an effort up to the top of an SUV but there are ways to make this easier. The towbar option is better if you have time to load and unload, since it requires a bit of faff aligning bars and pedals and such but the payoff is a quieter journey. This rack allows complete access to the boot and includes lights and number plate so all good there, but obviously requires a towbar and wiring. Oh, the towbar rack is a heavy thing too and needs somewhere to store it - I found a wall mounted towbar-type mount and put it on the garage wall. I also have some spare roof bars and two racks mounted to my trailer (in the garage) and then keep bikes on there, out of the way but easily accessible.

OP
OP
A

Adjunct Satyr

Think it looks like it’ll be a roof rack for me. Definitely going to look at Thule ;)

Gunk

Guru
We use a pair of Thule 535 Thruride carriers on the roof. Benefit is that the front wheel is removed and the bike is secured with a quick release clamp on the forks, so there is no pressure on the frame, ideal for CF bikes. We also have additional wheel carriers on the roof. The other benefit is that bikes sit a bit lower.

DC4-C8-D74-9734-4670-86-BB-3-DFDBC42-BB2-C.jpg

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have an XC90 and get mine up on the roof ok. Having said that, its about the limit of what is sensibly achievable unless you're 11 feet tall.
Yeah I think the "getting them up on the roof" worry is overstated sometimes, unless you're carrying Desperate Dan's bikes. Just takes a bit of technique I find, crouching down, grasping the bike as close to bottom bracket as you can, then standing upright and just angling the wheels away from you to guide them into the rails. It can help to have a second pair of hands to raise the clamp, but it can be done solo.
The collapsible step tip from further upthread is genius though for shorter people!

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah I think the "getting them up on the roof" worry is overstated sometimes, unless you're carrying Desperate Dan's bikes. Just takes a bit of technique I find, crouching down, grasping the bike as close to bottom bracket as you can, then standing upright and just angling the wheels away from you to guide them into the rails. It can help to have a second pair of hands to raise the clamp, but it can be done solo.
The collapsible step tip from further upthread is genius though for shorter people!
This.

The only one that made me huff and puff a bit was the ebike. When I took the Volvo in for some work I took the ebike to get me home, and while I didn't struggle it was definitely harder work!

But regular bikes, as you say, no problem at all, and a good technique makes it even easier. Unless you make Ronnie Corbett look like Hafthor Bjornsson it is a total non issue.

hatler

Guru
We ended up with the Atera Strada + 1 bike extension kit. It's taken four bikes safely and securely all over the country.

https://www.deporvillage.net/atera-strada-dl-3-bike-rack-for-3-bikes-13-poles.

Tow ball mounted (we tow stuff already so there was no cost for that), it slides away from the tailgate so you can load it and still access the boot. Getting it latched back in place when it has four bikes on it does require a bit of a heave.

Vehicle is a family estate (approx 1.5 ton), and I'm not sure how it would affect the handling of a smaller car with four bikes hanging out the back.

I have used three tow bar carriers and one roof, the roof one split in half to take tandem, but really too heavy for roof, but no option as too long for across the back.

Of the three tow bar carriers, first went on the ball, so could not tow as well, and tended to turn on the ball so bikes could hit the car, second one had a plate behind the tow ball, and two tapped holes, there was a bit of pipe joining the two halves, it worked reasonably well, ended up on back of narrow boat. I used eyes instead of bolts so I could easy take it on/off without a spanner, the last one also a plate so can tow as well, but it clamps onto the plate, there is a place for a lock, but I feel expensive bikes could be removed with the rack.

The tow bar rack rated 40 kg and designed for three bikes, but really need folding pedals, so very tight with three bikes, and with the e-bike being over 20 kg (22 kg) officially should not carry two e-bikes, however since not at edge of carrying poles don't think really a problem.

However reversing with two bikes very easy to crush the bikes when caravan on the back, only really good for one bike and caravan, so second e-bike is folding so it can go in boot. So the Maypole
1625273061255.png
rack (NBC2040) does work well and will allow one bike and towing a caravan, but not really two bikes although have carried two, but will not fit on a detachable tow ball, with the Kia Sorento had to use a spacer as otherwise touched the bumper, but it does also act as a protector when hitching to caravan.

But for the Jaguar XE have to use the very old bike rack that screws onto ball, it was designed to sit on the neck of the ball, and with a 3.5 inch centre bolt on ball it worked well, but with detachable ball it can turn so bikes hit car.

Top Bottom