Bike rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
Im looking for a single bike rack (no towbar ones) and am inclined towards the Saris Bones Solo.
Has any of you had any experience with this and can give some feedback? Or can you suggest other, sub £30 for a single bike?
Thanks

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Amazing no-one has any opinion on cycle racks! :evil:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you have roof bars then you could use one of these I have a couple and they are functional. Just a pain to put on and take off. Hence why you see so many cars with them attached.

Bobtoo

Über Member
It's not a fashionable viewpoint but I think roof ones are much better. For me lifting a bike onto the roof is a more natural movement than threading it onto the back. You also avoid problems with light visibility and boot access.

Having said that, a rear-mounted one might not be too bad for a single bike.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I have a cheap Halfords job on the bcak of my car...You've seen it Mimi ;) It's fine & does the job.
But i'll be getting the rack to go on my roof bars come next pay day... The rear rack is ok just to take the bikes to the park or into the workshop, but if we off for a weekend/camping/full day ride, then it's a pin having to take the bikes off to be able to open the door to unload.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

thanks for the replies, and sorry cant do roof bars, my fault I should have said! Cannot lift the bike up there...

Also on the family car we have a 'proper' Thule 4 bikes tow bar carrier, but I need a single bike carrier just to carry my bike if I am going to an event or meeting with someone a fair distance for a cycle ride, or take it to work with me.....
hence I am looking for a 'cheap' but good single carrier / rack. (thanks FunnyMummy, this is why I dont need a big one like yours :biggrin:)

I heard many good things about the Saris, look nice and not too big. I looked on the website for the compatibility with my car, new shape Fiesta, and it doesnt bring up the Bones Solo BUT the picture shows in on the back of a old shape VW Golf / Polo which has a similar bum to the Fiesta...
Just wondered if anyone here fitted it on a Fiesta or knows someone who successfully fitted it on one, or can recommend a better option?

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you not just put the seats down, take the front wheel off and stick the bike in the boot? Or is the car too little?

I think BikeRadar may have rack reviews

Top Bottom