Bike Repair Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

markstev27

Thank you for the advice

Sharky

Guru
Roughly, what is the area you come from? I'm sure somebody on here will come up with their trusty LBS or mechanic.
The mechanic that a lot of our club members use, I believe learnt his skill at Halfords!
He is also a top TT rider in Kent, so perehaps that latter is just a coincidence.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im sure ive regaled you of the time the penny pinchers at work switched the maintenance contract to Halfords against my most strenuous advice.

First bike that went in was for a new BB, and it came back with both cranks pointing in the same direction. I showed this to the Supernintendo and by days end we were authorised to start using the LBS again.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The sort of damage being mentioned sounds like a possible economic write-off to me if you are paying for new parts plus repair labour. Brake levers and hand grips are not generally expensive, nor are spokes. However forks can be, especially if the only option is genuine new and there is no generic compatible alternative available.
Then you've got the work involved, which in terms of the amount of dismantling and reassembly is quite a bit. Broken spokes in a rear wheel might need the freewheel to come off for access. The wheel will almost certainly need retrueing especially if it has taken a hit to cause the damage. So it might be new wheel time in the worst case if it won't true properly.
When you add it up, the cheapest option is likely to be to source an identical secondhand donor and use the best bits from both to make one good bike, an keep any useable leftover parts as future spares. Whenever I encounter dumped bikes with parts compatible with any bikes that I ride, I grab them even though I don't immediately need any more spares. If something gets damaged or naturally fails through wear & tear, my first port of call is always to rummage through my salvaged stuff.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Does it have to be Halfords? The thread title is something of an oxymoron!

As far as the actual repairs are concerned.... Brake lever and grips, easy and cheap.
"Quite a bit of frame damage" though. If it's bent, expensive; even new frame time. Or is it just cosmetic? In which case, wear it with pride!

As far as a "service" goes. IMHO completely unnecessary and made up by struggling bike shops like Halfords. Bike maintenance should just be a little bit, often. Keep things oiled that need oiled, tight that need to be tight, and keep brakes and gears adjusted. Plenty of help available on here and elsewhere on line with that. YouTube in particular.
Exactly. Service a little and often, just keep things in check. What @Brandane said is spot-on. All these bike maintenance plans where you pay a certain amount up-front for 3 years free servicing (you just pay for parts) is a joke. I understand why people would take this on a car, but on a bike? Meh. If one wants to use a bike shop for servicing, that's ok, but paying up front is what gets me.

Marty-mart

Regular
The Marasa has hydraulic brakes so not quite the straight forward fix being suggested.
The plans save a lot of money for non cyclists with no interest, inclination, ability or tools.

Top Bottom