Bike Repair Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi everyone. I had an accident on my bike on Sunday and it is a Voodoo Marasa Hybrid bike. It will need a new brake lever, new grips and quite a bit of frame damage

Does anyone know a rough cost to get it repaired at Halfords? How much do they charge for a service too as it will need that?

Thanks

Brandane

Legendary Member
Does it have to be Halfords? The thread title is something of an oxymoron!

As far as the actual repairs are concerned.... Brake lever and grips, easy and cheap.
"Quite a bit of frame damage" though. If it's bent, expensive; even new frame time. Or is it just cosmetic? In which case, wear it with pride!

As far as a "service" goes. IMHO completely unnecessary and made up by struggling bike shops like Halfords. Bike maintenance should just be a little bit, often. Keep things oiled that need oiled, tight that need to be tight, and keep brakes and gears adjusted. Plenty of help available on here and elsewhere on line with that. YouTube in particular.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi everyone. I had an accident on my bike on Sunday and it is a Voodoo Marasa Hybrid bike. It will need a new brake lever, new grips and quite a bit of frame damage

Does anyone know a rough cost to get it repaired at Halfords? How much do they charge for a service too as it will need that?

Thanks
ask halfords, as they will tell you more accurately than a random person on the internet. then find a local proper bike shop / mobile bike mechanic and ask them, as they will do a much better job and cheaper.
It will need a new brake lever, new grips and quite a bit of frame damage
I know its just the way you have written it, but doing frame damage is an unusual repair!:laugh:

OP
OP
M

markstev27

ask halfords, as they will tell you more accurately than a random person on the internet. then find a local proper bike shop / mobile bike mechanic and ask them, as they will do a much better job and cheaper.

I know its just the way you have written it, but doing frame damage is an unusual repair!:laugh:
Thanks the damage to the frame is mostly a dent on the front wheel frame where it impacted the floor and damage to the spokes on the rear wheel

Cycleops

Legendary Member
By 'front wheel frame' do you mean fork?
If you're handy with spanners you might like to do it yourself. Cheapest route would be to find a donor bike used, there are plenty about, and use the parts from there. If no damage to the main bike frame you should be okay, but check for alignment. Damage isn't always obvious and aluminium distorts easily. Look at the bike from the rear and check the wheels line up. Worse comes to worse you can use used frame or entire bike.
Do not go to Halfords. If you need to take it to a shop for service and setting up after the repairs use a local bike shop.

Last edited:

sasquath

^^^what he said and:
Being 3 moth old bike must be a pain.
Ask Halfords for parts, fork and brake lever, grips on stock bikes often suck, so maybe upgrade?
I do hope driver's insurance is paying.
If frame has paint cracks(not scratches) anywhere it's probably write off, it may look ok but impacted/ stressed beyond certain point 60xx/70xx aluminium is likely to develop microcracks and disintegrate after long term use...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markstev27

^^^what he said and:
Being 3 moth old bike must be a pain.
Ask Halfords for parts, fork and brake lever, grips on stock bikes often suck, so maybe upgrade?
I do hope driver's insurance is paying.
If frame has paint cracks(not scratches) anywhere it's probably write off, it may look ok but impacted/ stressed beyond certain point 60xx/70xx aluminium is likely to develop microcracks and disintegrate after long term use...
Worse thing is the car didn't stop

Alex321

Veteran
Do not go to Halfords. If you need to take it to a shop for service and setting up after the repairs use a local bike shop.

For some of us, Halfords is our local bike shop :sad:

I have at least two branches of Halfords closer than any "real" bike shop, with none of those within 10 miles.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Halfords tools (the Bike Hut brand) are actually pretty fabulous for the cost, I've got quite a few of theirs. Great quality, not expensive.

On repairs, they get a lot of flak on here and horror stories are fairly common, but then this is an enthusiast's forum and the majority like to support local bike shops (which I get, the experience level in an LBS will always trump Halfords). I've not had any bad experiences with them however, I've only had setups and repairs on children's bikes but they've been fine.

On the problem itself, it sounds like you need a new front fork, brake lever and grips, all very doable for an amateur if you fancy having a go, should be an afternoon's work on the stand and it'll be rewarding. YouTube videos are your friend for learning what to do, the tasks are pretty straightforward.
Make sure you heed the advice from @Cycleops on checking the frame over carefully as all your efforts will come to naught if the frame is bent.

Top Bottom