Bike rollers any good and what do you get from them ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been a good few years since I used my bikes due to an illness and in all honesty laziness/lack of confidence in other peoples driving.I'm thinking of getting an exercise bike so I can do 15 mins before work and some on the night to simulate the commute ( I now live 25 miles + from work) But as I still have two bikes I thought of maybe using rollers instead as this would make it easy to hide away when not in use. But what would i get from them as I'm guessing there is no resistance to pedaling ?

Thanks all.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Resistance? Change gear!
What do you get. Core balance. Less noise, boiling hot, a stronger core as it’s harder work. Marks on your paintwork, on the door frame, as you get the hang of them. Satisfaction that you have achieved mastery over a dark art that Professor Snape would be proud of.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
I need to be able to store it out of the way which is why the rollers came to mind but If I fall of the things and survive I'll most likely be killed by Mrs Badger for wrecking the place :boxing::boxing:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The above, plus easy deployment as there’s no need to mess around with wheels on and off. More engagement with the activity. Membership of the Righteous Guild of the Spinning Cylinder. Dents in your head.

Core strength and balance are the two main benefits for me of basic rollers but you also get resistance rollers and smart rollers. Also once unfolded though there's no further set up of the bike required (replacing the skewer or removing the wheel etc). There is a learning experience to them though.

mpemburn

I remember rollers! Yikes, what a pain—especially that time my concentration wavered and I went crashing into the nearest wall…

While I’m generally not in favor indoor “riding”, I do have a Cycleops magnetic trainer (purchase used for ~$100) that will serve when the weather gets too beastly. The advantage is that I can pick it up with one hand and wheel the bike in with the other as I transport it from the barn into the house.

Sharky

Guru
Bike rollers or turbos are good as they work with your normal bike. This allows you to fine tune your riding position and there won't be any surprises when you switch to or back from the road.

Static indoor trainers, unless you spend a lot will come with cheap components and encourage riding positions a long way removed from a decent road riding position. Might be better than sitting on a sofa, but not as good as your normal bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Get rollers, get earphones, have fun and sweat buckets at whatever tempo works for you ...

View: https://youtu.be/t5m-wgGYld8

Yikes, what a pain—especially that time my concentration wavered and I went crashing into the nearest wall....
Are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with something else? If your wheels leave the rollers you stop (as you are not really going anywhere in the first place) and maybe fall over sideways if you don't put a foot down. :laugh:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thinking of treating myself - any recommendations re brands. Anyone using 'Jet Black' rollers?

mattobrien

Guru
I have both a turbo and rollers permanently set up and tend to alternate between the two for training. I have a set of Kreitler rollers and also have a fly wheel and resistance fan for them. This means I can get nearly 2,000w of resistance if I open the fan fully, I do not, but I does mean I can happily do zone 5/6 intervals on the. Also, the fly wheels adds a little realism, meaning you can stop pedalling briefly and the whole thing doesn't grind to a halt.

They were not a cheap set up, but they are very good and they get a lot of use thing time of year. I get more than cadence and core benefits from having them.

Top Bottom