Bike Roof Carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
This seems as good a place as any to post this...

I'd like to transport some bikes. On the roof of my Audi A4 2002 saloon. I can spend a bit of cash but would like that cash to be an investment.

Are there any racks that you can buy that are universal? Obviously it cant be one rack for ALL cars but can you buy decent racks that will fit MOST saloons?

I know it's £200 or less versus thousands on a car, but if I could get something that could easily be moved to mates cars, and obviously my future cars, that would be awesome.

Ta

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thule Aero Bars for a start, with the 'feet' that fit your car at present (you'll need other feet for other cars though). I then bought 4 Halfords Advanced carriers (same as the base Thule bike carrier) as they were half price on 'offer'. The overall set up was still over £200.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
So... If I buy Thule bars, I simply need to buy different Feet for different cars? All feet fit all bars but not all cars... Cool?

If so, it should be cheaper to buy 2nd hand bars and buy new feet?

fossyant

With the Thule System, the Feet are usually slightly different - the main thing is the rubber feet and the clamp section, but they only come as a 'foot assembly'.
For example, my bars' feet look pretty similar to others, but the metal clamp had a raised pin which co-incides with a locator on the underside of the door/roofline edge (i.e. a hole above the door seals). To fit another car, I'd just need to replace the feet. They do slide off quite easily.

One thing to bear in mind, if you've got a 4 bike set up, on Thule racks, then they weigh a tonne - it takes two of us to lift it onto a saloon (the cycle carriers add significant weight).

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Much appreciated.

I often think that Google is the enemy. Somebody somewhere must have written a brilliant guide to all of this but it's probably hidden on page 42 or worse as it's not search engine optimised.

Thule Pro Ride 591 I've got two and they are fantastic, but due to a change in circumstance I may need to flog the pair. You will still need roof bars though.

Let me know if you fancy them.

fossyant

[QUOTE 1847911, member: 45"]These are rebranded Thule carriers, and those in the pic are the older version of what Thule currently sell. They're good, stable racks, and I don't find them any more difficult to load than the more expensive side-loading quick release carriers.[/quote]

They are the ones I have. The OP linked to some that were not quick release, which is where it gets a real pain with 4 bikes to fit on your own.. The Halfords Advance/Thule one has a quick release clamp.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Absolutely. Though as you'll see from my penny punching posts above, if you offer them to the masses you may get someone who offers to pay in cash and not buttons...

How much do you want for them?

400bhp

Guru
One thing to bear in mind, if you've got a 4 bike set up, on Thule racks, then they weigh a tonne - it takes two of us to lift it onto a saloon (the cycle carriers add significant weight).

You load the bikes AND the carriers on at the same time?

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1847911, member: 45"]These are rebranded Thule carriers, and those in the pic are the older version of what Thule currently sell. They're good, stable racks, and I don't find them any more difficult to load than the more expensive side-loading quick release carriers.[/quote]

Actually the older version of the Thule ones did have a quick release. I have a new (silver finish) and an old (black plastic coating finished) one. Perhaps you meant the even older ones?

Mine are a little bent at the moment due to a car park barrier. :whistle: I need to get them straightened out or throw them.

Top Bottom