Bike sale during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
This is an interesting response.

The Welsh government has my admiration for communicating clearly and not following the dubious behaviour of the Westminster government, and their police my support in enforcing it.

We'll be visiting again once it's safe.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Sorry if this has been done to death. Quick query: my wife has decided to sell her bike on eBay. In the past, sellers have collected in person or I have been prepared to travel a reasonable distance to deliver/hand over. However, in the current situation I am wondering if it might be better to offer use of a courier or delivery service. Any ideas on what would be best and the approximate cost? Hassle factor high or low?

(If you're in England and wondering what the heck this is all about, in Wales we are still locked down quite strictly. We have to stay at home apart from essential travel. Police are enforcing quite firmly and have stated that collecting a new vehicle is not 'essential' travel. I'd hate someone to set off from England only to be turned back in Wales and have to go home again.)

Thank you.
I would do as you normally would with a sentence in the add saying social distancing applies on collections

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
perhaps they still want the "brits out" as was sprayed on a sign near Newport, made me laugh because English & Scots can turn round & go home, the Welsh will make themselves homeless.

There was a message painted on the huge Croeso I Gymru sign as you entered Wales on the A449 near Monmouth: Brits Out. It always made me laugh, because of course the Welsh are the true and original Brits, the rest are invaders. Saes Out might have made more sense.

Amazing how many English people want to buy up a piece of Wales though, can't be that bad can it?

Well, I moved here with work from Yorkshire 30 years ago, and I see no reason to leave.

DRM

Guru
There was a message painted on the huge Croeso I Gymru sign as you entered Wales on the A449 near Monmouth: Brits Out. It always made me laugh, because of course the Welsh are the true and original Brits, the rest are invaders. Saes Out might have made more sense.

Well, I moved here with work from Yorkshire 30 years ago, and I see no reason to leave.
Thats the one, it always made me chuckle for just that reason.

Welsh graffiti vandals have a history of being stupid.

Wasn’t it in Newport that a paediatrician was driven from her home after vandals daubed the side of her house with ‘paedo’ because they thought her job title indicated she was a paedophile? :laugh: You couldn’t make it up!

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
That remind me of an old joke (based on an advertising slogan for British Gas).

"Come home to a real fire; buy a cottage In North Wales"

I think that was Not The Nine o'Clock News. Remember it well :smile:

Welsh graffiti vandals have a history of being stupid.

Wasn’t it in Newport that a paediatrician was driven from her home after vandals daubed the side of her house with ‘paedo’ because they thought her job title indicated she was a paedophile? :laugh: You couldn’t make it up!

I remember that, too. It was Portsmouth. Don't tar the poor old Welsh with that brush!

D

Deleted member 26715

I remember that, too. It was Portsmouth. Don't tar the poor old Welsh with that brush!
Why would somebody paint Portsmouth on the wall of Welsh paediatrician?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had someone in Deeside wanting to come and see the kids bike I was selling recently - I advised it was probably not wise even if he was just inside ! He was going to risk it.

I've sold 3 bikes no issue since lock down. 2 have been local buyers, one came from Sheffield on the way to Southport (but that was when we could travel). Put in a good description on ebay, and I'm sure someone will buy that's local. Second hand bikes are selling well on ebay. Give it a good clean, and show how good it is in the photos - there is a load of rough stuff out there.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've just looked at where you are, that's a long poke from Bristol. I doubt if anyone would risk collecting it, or if they did I doubt they'd get to you without being stopped if it's as strict as you say. I'd go with Shiply as well. I used them once and it's a relatively pain free service. I accepted a quote for I think £55 to ship a motorbike from my house (plymouth) to an address 180 miles away. I was chatting to the driver, and he said it's a good system, because they do a delivery and then can quote really cheap to take your parcel back, becasue they'd have to drive back anyway so might as well be laden and £55 better off

Top Bottom