Bike sale during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Sorry if this has been done to death. Quick query: my wife has decided to sell her bike on eBay. In the past, sellers have collected in person or I have been prepared to travel a reasonable distance to deliver/hand over. However, in the current situation I am wondering if it might be better to offer use of a courier or delivery service. Any ideas on what would be best and the approximate cost? Hassle factor high or low?

(If you're in England and wondering what the heck this is all about, in Wales we are still locked down quite strictly. We have to stay at home apart from essential travel. Police are enforcing quite firmly and have stated that collecting a new vehicle is not 'essential' travel. I'd hate someone to set off from England only to be turned back in Wales and have to go home again.)

Thank you.

Slick

Guru

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've sold two bikes during the lockdown, it's an understatement to say that there was no shortage of offers within about 5 miles of my house, so there wasn't any need for anyone to travel far at all.
For handover, I got them to call me when they were here, then I put the bike out on the drive, and watched from the front door. I'd offered the buyers time to inspect and make sure they were happy but both declined and just headed off with their new bikes. I don't think you'll have any issues getting full asking price, probably the same day you list it.

I sold three bikes on eBay a few weeks ago and, fortunately, the winners were all within 20 miles of the M1, so pretty much a straight line up through the country. I arranged a local Man-with-a-van to do all 3 dropoffs in one round trip for £75 which everyone was happy with, and saved time, faff and bubblewrap in packaging them up.

D

Deleted member 26715

You could also try https://www.shiply.com/ but as said maybe locals will make offers, also if somebody does decide to come collect it is them that is running the risk of prosecution not yourself.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've sold two bikes during the lockdown, it's an understatement to say that there was no shortage of offers within about 5 miles of my house, so there wasn't any need for anyone to travel far at all.
For handover, I got them to call me when they were here, then I put the bike out on the drive, and watched from the front door. I'd offered the buyers time to inspect and make sure they were happy but both declined and just headed off with their new bikes. I don't think you'll have any issues getting full asking price, probably the same day you list it.
I sold three bikes on eBay a few weeks ago and, fortunately, the winners were all within 20 miles of the M1, so pretty much a straight line up through the country. I arranged a local Man-with-a-van to do all 3 dropoffs in one round trip for £75 which everyone was happy with, and saved time, faff and bubblewrap in packaging them up.

Fine if you live in a well-populated area. I'm in a rural area close to a small town which is a long way from the moist end of the M4. I've sold things like furniture and white goods locally, but for bikes/motorbikes/cars etc (which is most of my eBay activity) it's almost always necessary to factor in a long trip to collect. It's why I always offer to deliver at cost within a reasonable radius, or meet half-way, for items that I cannot post. I'd have no buyers otherwise. Same in the North of Scotland, I imagine.

You could also try https://www.shiply.com/ but as said maybe locals will make offers, also if somebody does decide to come collect it is them that is running the risk of prosecution not yourself.

It's not so much the risk of prosecution, but I would hate to have a seller coming from England, perhaps 200 miles, only to be turned back by the Police ten miles from my house. It would make the experience difficult for both parties. I'm English and I have English family and friends, and I don't think people in England realise how strict the lockdown is here. Police are regularly turning people back to England, after issuing a fine and doing cannabis and cocaine tests and a vehicle check as part of the package. They are catching many, many people. They are very zealous. I don't really want to get involved with that, or get anyone else involved if I can help it.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Why not just hang fire until the restrictions are eased in Wales.
Because the Welsh government have given no indication as to when they plan to start easing the lockdown to allow ‘non-essential’ travel. It could be next month, could be next year. We don’t want to have our lives on hold that long.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Because the Welsh government have given no indication as to when they plan to start easing the lockdown to allow ‘non-essential’ travel. It could be next month, could be next year. We don’t want to have our lives on hold that long.
Whereabouts in West Wales are you? I live just outside Fishguard and I sold my bike a month ago, mentioned it to a neighbour on the Friday and someone she knew picked it up two days later. I've had a couple of other enquiries since.

It is easy to sell at the moment.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Whereabouts in West Wales are you? I live just outside Fishguard and I sold my bike a month ago, mentioned it to a neighbour on the Friday and someone she knew picked it up two days later. I've had a couple of other enquiries since.

It is easy to sell at the moment.
Just N of Haverfordwest. I may be lucky, of course, but finding someone to pay decent money for a decent older bike is not going to be easy. I know what you are saying - a mate of mine mentioned on facebook he was looking for a hybrid, I offered him my Carrera, and we had a deal within 30 minutes. But that was a modern mainstream bike. Selling a 25-year-old 'classic' steel tourer might not be as simple. Fingers crossed!

DRM

Guru
Fine if you live in a well-populated area. I'm in a rural area close to a small town which is a long way from the moist end of the M4. I've sold things like furniture and white goods locally, but for bikes/motorbikes/cars etc (which is most of my eBay activity) it's almost always necessary to factor in a long trip to collect. It's why I always offer to deliver at cost within a reasonable radius, or meet half-way, for items that I cannot post. I'd have no buyers otherwise. Same in the North of Scotland, I imagine.

It's not so much the risk of prosecution, but I would hate to have a seller coming from England, perhaps 200 miles, only to be turned back by the Police ten miles from my house. It would make the experience difficult for both parties. I'm English and I have English family and friends, and I don't think people in England realise how strict the lockdown is here. Police are regularly turning people back to England, after issuing a fine and doing cannabis and cocaine tests and a vehicle check as part of the package. They are catching many, many people. They are very zealous. I don't really want to get involved with that, or get anyone else involved if I can help it.
Perhaps people who may have visited after the lockdown for holidays etc will remember the overzealous Welsh plod & stay away spending their hard earned where they are made more welcome, the Welsh government ought to remember where the majority of their income comes from.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Perhaps people who may have visited after the lockdown for holidays etc will remember the overzealous Welsh plod & stay away spending their hard earned where they are made more welcome, the Welsh government ought to remember where the majority of their income comes from.
Or the thankfully very zealous Heddlu if you live here. Widespread travel is the fastest way of spreading Covid 19 and people really ought to take on board the "Stay at home" message. Try booking a holiday in France if you think it is just the Welsh.

DRM

Guru
It's not the turning around and fining, it's the breathalysing & drug test, and vehicle checks, probably when theres no need, but because they can, there's no need for it, if somebody is off their heads on alcohol or drugs, or the car is a wreck, fair enough, but as I say tourism funds a lot of Welsh income, particularly in the more rural areas, but perhaps they still want the "brits out" as was sprayed on a sign near Newport, made me laugh because English & Scots can turn round & go home, the Welsh will make themselves homeless.

Top Bottom