Bike sales boom.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used prices still pretty high round here though and very few discounts on new bikes, apart from the really expensive stuff. Not a great time to be buying a bike or upgrading components.

Yes, horrible to time to be buying a bike.

Only bikes in stock are either extreme sizes (XS and XL) or the ones with questionable colours that nobody want :laugh:

Dwn

Not had a real problem getting parts (haven’t needed much, to be fair) but getting work done by the LBS means making an appointment 2 or 3 weeks in advance - worse than trying to get a haircut.

Glasgow and surrounding areas still very busy with bikes after their winter migration to the sheds. Great to see - the more cyclists on the road, the better for all of us. Back in the early 80’s I could commute from the west end to the city centre without seeing another cyclist some days. Much better now

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep LBS is a 3 week wait at least. I suppose its a good thing as well considering the pressures of online shopping. Only issue is I was willing to buy stuff in the LBS for my new wheels but they had zero stock lol . Amazon delivered next day.......

AuroraSaab

Veteran

Only bikes in stock are either extreme sizes (XS and XL) or the ones with questionable colours that nobody want :laugh:

The only bargain bike deals I have seen for months are the old Cannondale Slice tri bikes bring sold off - they were £800 a few months ago, now £1k - at Evans, but only small sizes left. Other 'deals' are £50 off, or reductions from ridiculous rrp's. OH bought his hybrid in Nov 2019 and paid £240 in the Rutland Cycles sale - same bike is now £450 ish. Glad I bought my used bikes when I did. I wouldn't be prepared to pay what they would go for on ebay now.

I feel for those who really need a bike and can't get one or are having to pay over the odds.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Spa Cycles seem to have plenty of stock, both with complete bikes and frames.

Hardly surprising really as their bikes are of the traditional steel framed variety, perfectly good and in most hands just as capable as anything else. But of course the "New golf five minute wonders" who are must be seen to be into the latest craze have to have pro team replicas for the few brief years they spend cycling before the Next Big Thing comes along. Which of course leaves less to go round for those who are long term enthusias

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's definitely a tough buyer's market still. I noticed yesterday that my daughter was looking a little cramped on her 24" Trek so I went looking for a 26" replacement today (same type as she really likes it, just needs a bigger one).... I can find 2 of the colour she wants, it's a choice of a drive to Birmingham or to Gorleston in Norfolk (both 4 hours round trip), or a 75 quid courier. I can only find one used one on eBay, and he wants almost the same price as a new one.
On the upside her 24" Trek is pristine and should sell well.

Lovacott

Über Member

I wonder if it has something to do with the number of people taking "staycations" as opposed to flying off to Menorca or somewhere?

A lot of the cars coming down to Devon over the last week have had bikes strapped to the back or on the roof.

Seems like March to September will be pretty much a sellers market for anything to do with cycling. I've already stocked up on enough spares to get me through the silly season.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Spa Cycles seem to have plenty of stock, both with complete bikes and frames.

Hardly surprising really as their bikes are of the traditional steel framed variety, perfectly good and in most hands just as capable as anything else. But of course the "New golf five minute wonders" who are must be seen to be into the latest craze have to have pro team replicas for the few brief years they spend cycling before the Next Big Thing comes along. Which of course leaves less to go round for those who are long term enthusias
Built me up a titanium Sabbath September in December with only a few weeks wait and let me spec crank length, cassette, handlebar width, stem, etc and a lovely set of handbuilt wheels. The bike was set up perfectly straight from the box so a great experience.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wond how many of us bike hoarders, including people like myself with 10 bikes, and another 2 in pieces, are perhaps not helping the supply situation? :whistle:

I thought I was bad with 8! :laugh:
I have close to 10 - in three places - lots of spares and many of the bits are common/swappable across the bikes - worst comes to the worst I'll set the bikes to eating each other. I rather pity folk with bikes with "special bits" where compatibility issues limit the availability of suitable parts.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wond how many of us bike hoarders, including people like myself with 10 bikes, and another 2 in pieces, are perhaps not helping the supply situation? :whistle:
I did my bit last year - 5 out and only 2 in. I contributed a net 3 to the market - I might even sell a couple more this year. A least 1 will go.

Drago

Legendary Member
But on the plus side we are in a position where we are not being "held to ransom" and having to pay these high prices. I am a mere amateur with only four bikes!!!
This is true. Im quite glad that I've been one of the enlightened right from the moment I first learned to ride, and not a (very welcome) newcomer trying to source a decent bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have 9, although one is in a different country and one i have bought but not seen yet, 'til i can get back to spiritual home to collect it once we can travel more freely. I have a fixed / single speed ready to sell and a retro mountain bike I need to sort out a peculiar chain-line on (it sees to have the wrong length BB on it) and then flog that too. 2 are currently have spoke repairs / wheel rebuilds, so I have only 3 I could jump on and ride tmr, a posh road bike, a gravel /winter bike and Mtn bike. That will be back to 6 Uk based with the brommie and 2 steel road road bike once all collected /repaired.

Top Bottom