bike service with bottom bracket replacement not done arrgghhhhhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
BITD when I worked in a bike shop I generally did what was written on the ticket. If it came in for a general service then that's what I did. Customers would have a hissy fit if I changed something like a bottom bracket which would have cost them money. I was quite kind what I wrote after a test ride, "Bunny" the other guy would simply write NBG on the ticket.

I guess it depends on what you told them about the bike when you left it.

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
BITD when I worked in a bike shop I generally did what was written on the ticket. If it came in for a general service then that's what I did. Customers would have a hissy fit if I changed something like a bottom bracket which would have cost them money. I was quite kind what I wrote after a test ride, "Bunny" the other guy would simply write NBG on the ticket.

Shaun
Yeah but if you left it there saying "it needs a new bottom bracket" I for one would expect them to fit a new un...................not tell me it needed one fitted when I collected it (over a week later FFS) :cursing:
EDIT - This ain't a dig at you @midlife it is aimed at the 'shop'

midlife

Guru
Tricky ...BITD there were no mobile phones or other means of contact. If the customer had a phone then pound to a penny it was a party line (remember them :biggrin:) so all we could do was leave a note when they collected it.

I know you are not having a dig, I was just reminiscing about the old days :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member

Shaun

But i did tell them, because the guy said theres only a tiny bit play in it, we might get away with just re-greasing it, but i said just hoy a new one on

But i did tell them, because the guy said theres only a tiny bit play in it, we might get away with just re-greasing it, but i said just hoy a new one on

Seriously I think you should drop a note to the head office. Time has been wasted and you did not have the use of your bike.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
...she would kill me if i bought a bike now

Tell her you're getting n+1 of your system before settling down. If she loves you she'll understand.

unfortuantley im a rider not a fixer, so its all alien to me

I was never much for attempting my own fixes either, until my bikes made noises the shops weren't very interested in diagnosing and I realised it was up to me. In my case, going singlespeed was like a gateway drug, made me less frightened of the drivetrain at least. Now I've lost count of how many bottom brackets I've removed; so many noises seem like they're coming from that area, it got to the point I'd just whip it out at the first unexplained clicking…

BBracket.jpg

meet-again.jpg

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
I just removed a BB-7420 FSA from my bike and replaced it with another brand.

Took me about an hour, but it's the first job, other than puncture repair, that I have done myself on the bike. I am slightly nervous something isn't torqued right as it's all by hand with an adjustable wrench and I have weak arms but nothing has fallen off yet!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I just removed a BB-7420 FSA from my bike and replaced it with another brand.

Took me about an hour, but it's the first job, other than puncture repair, that I have done myself on the bike. I am slightly nervous something isn't torqued right as it's all by hand with an adjustable wrench and I have weak arms but nothing has fallen off yet!
Weak arm look beats the people you the men you see that goto the gym and are all arm, skinny legs and a gut that hides their toes .

Top Bottom