Bike shed recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warrenb

Can anyone recommend a good value bike storage shed. Looking for something solid and secure that will accommodate a couple of bikes. Thanks!

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum.

Could you give us a bit more info to work on eg

Where is it going? How big can it be? How much can you spend? How secure is the area? How valuable are the bikes that are going in it? Have you considered and rejected any sheds and if so, why? Could the bikes live indoors instead?

OP
OP
W

Warrenb

Hi alicat. Thanks for replying. It's going in a small open-ended lane at the back of our house and will back on to an eight foot wall. I'm looking at between 150-200 pounds (I've got a US lap top and can't find the pound sign!). It's a reasonably secure area but there is a bit of petty crime too. Local FB group say a few people have been spotted trying doors in the neighbourhood. One Ridgeback Speed (250 quid new) and a Giant (cheap as chips second hand). I haven't tried any sheds but someone has one in the same lane but it looks pretty easy to take out the screws with a screwdriver and wrench the lock apart that connects the two doors. I would prefer the bike to be in our kitch en where it lives now but we've got a one-year old who is getting faster and faster at crawling and has already had a couple of narrow escapes. Weird the word kitch en is banned so had to add a space!

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
The bikes aren't valuable; however there is the nuisance value of replacing them.

I much prefer to keep the bikes indoors where it is quicker to get at them when I am going out and there are fewer concerns about security. I would look at either hanging the bikes above toddler height on a spare wall in your home eg in hall if you have one.

If that's not possible I would look at buying a small wooden garden shed - 6' by 2'6" called a tool store with double doors on the long side - take a bike and try it first to check it will fit.

Then when you are installing it bury the end of a chain underneath, run the chain up through the floor and look the bikes to it. Detailed explanations may be found by googling 'homemade bike ground anchor. Or use a specific ground anchor.

Get some ideas from this thread.

Hope that helps.

alicat

Legendary Member
Also to say if you move your thread or start a new one in 'Mechanics, bike fitting and repairs' or 'Cyclechat cafe' you may get more responses with workarounds that people have used.

Where to store bikes is a problem that all cyclists face and you should get lots of ingenious ideas provided the problem has been adequately defined.

sidevalve

Über Member
I would suggest £1 - 200 is pretty cheap really for anything that will be usefull. You can try the so called 'bike storage' sheds but they can be a bit of a pain to get the bikes in and out off. As for locks for it 1 - don't use screws use coach bolts and reinforce the place where it fastens with BIG washers. 2 - buy a padlock not a cheap toy and fit a hasp to lock with it again not a toy. In fact use two. Remember thieves will get in if they want to - what you have to do is make it so difficult that they don't bother and simply move on to an easier target. You can also fit one of those cheap shed alarms if there is any chance of you hearing it. Again not much good in its self but it makes a noise and thieves don't like noise. Sorry but even reasonable security just aint cheap.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Like @alicat says fit a ground anchor to a big lump of concrete before you put the shed up and get a shed with no windows (cheaper) The ground anchor provides the security, the shed just keeps them out of sight (and the weather off em)

OP
OP
W

Warrenb

Also to say if you move your thread or start a new one in 'Mechanics, bike fitting and repairs' or 'Cyclechat cafe' you may get more responses with workarounds that people have used.

Where to store bikes is a problem that all cyclists face and you should get lots of ingenious ideas provided the problem has been adequately defined.
Thanks for your advice alicat and for the link. Would love to keep the bike in the house but we don't have a hall so it has to go outside. We had something similar to the tool store you mentioned which was made of plastic but someone jumped on to it and went straight through a few months ago. I'll look into something a lot hardier.

OP
OP
W

Warrenb

Hi alicat. Thanks for replying. It's going in a small open-ended lane at the back of our house and will back on to an eight foot wall. I'm looking at between 150-200 pounds (I've got a US lap top and can't find the pound sign!). It's a reasonably secure area but there is a bit of petty crime too. Local FB group say a few people have been spotted trying doors in the neighbourhood. One Ridgeback Speed (250 quid new) and a Giant (cheap as chips second hand). I haven't tried any sheds but someone has one in the same lane but it looks pretty easy to take out the screws with a screwdriver and wrench the lock apart that connects the two doors. I would prefer the bike to be in our kitch en where it lives now but we've got a one-year old who is getting faster and faster at crawling and has already had a couple of narrow escapes. Weird the word kitch en is banned so had to add a space!
I would suggest £1 - 200 is pretty cheap really for anything that will be usefull. You can try the so called 'bike storage' sheds but they can be a bit of a pain to get the bikes in and out off. As for locks for it 1 - don't use screws use coach bolts and reinforce the place where it fastens with BIG washers. 2 - buy a padlock not a cheap toy and fit a hasp to lock with it again not a toy. In fact use two. Remember thieves will get in if they want to - what you have to do is make it so difficult that they don't bother and simply move on to an easier target. You can also fit one of those cheap shed alarms if there is any chance of you hearing it. Again not much good in its self but it makes a noise and thieves don't like noise. Sorry but even reasonable security just aint cheap.
Thanks sidevalve - very useful advice. The coach bolts, hasp lock and padlock sound like good ideas, as well as the mini alarm. Look like I;m going to have to spend more on security than the worth of the bikes!

Aunty Tyke

The bikes aren't valuable; however there is the nuisance value of replacing them.

I much prefer to keep the bikes indoors where it is quicker to get at them when I am going out and there are fewer concerns about security. I would look at either hanging the bikes above toddler height on a spare wall in your home eg in hall if you have one.

If that's not possible I would look at buying a small wooden garden shed - 6' by 2'6" called a tool store with double doors on the long side - take a bike and try it first to check it will fit.

Then when you are installing it bury the end of a chain underneath, run the chain up through the floor and look the bikes to it. Detailed explanations may be found by googling 'homemade bike ground anchor. Or use a specific ground anchor.

Get some ideas from this thread.

Hope that helps.
Now that is a top idea!

Top Bottom