Bike shoes and Clip on pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

I wasn't recomending ultegras, both myself and Joe24 were recomending 105's.:laugh: I ride with ultegras though.

bonj2

ah, right - well 150's are cheaper.
ANY shimano SPD-SL though are imho difficult to use.
Suppose it depends on whether keeping within budget is the most important factor in the choice doesn't it.

Young Un

It also depends it spd-sl's are your first clipless system. I have only ever seriously ridden with spd-sl from the very start of my clipless escapades, and so for me they are all I know, and so very easy to get in and out of. However, when I quickly tried spd's the once, because it was a completely different action to what I was used to, in the ten minutes I had on them, I didn't get comfortable with them. What I am trying to say is, is that if spd-sl's are all you know, then they are easy in my opinion.

jimboalee

IIRC, CyclingSam is the young chap who wanted to become a pro and go on the Tour.

14 years old. Am I correct?

At 14 years old, those cyclists who do make it to the pro ranks are already building bikes from bare frame.
They are riding 250 miles per week lonesome around the local countryside, so intimate knowledge of what they are riding comes in handy.

The lads, like myself, who never made it or decided they weren't good enough at 16 years old – me ( I became a pro skateboarder instead ) -, were building bikes ourselves.

I did buy a Pug 531 when I was 15, but it was soon modified and adjusted to my liking, with a little help from Mr & Mrs Crowther. My other bikes at the time were self built from parts I bought off older school chums and new from Crowther's.

I'm not being derogatory, just realistic. To be a pro, you need to know absolutely everything about bikes before you are big enough to ride a 700C wheel size bike.

Not only know everything about bikes, but know how to ride them fast and tactically – and do EXACTLY what your coach says, even if it means letting a team mate win the race.

JamesM

I know you said you weren't being derogatory but...

Why do you need to know everything about bikes at 14 to become a pro when you're older? Surely your natural fitness and determination are much more important factors...

I know it's a very specific example, it's track riding not road riding and I could be completely wrong but I doub't Rebecca Romero would have built many bikes from scratch by the age of 15...

jimboalee

Wow, you've got me there.

Rebecca happened to live right by the river Thames at 17. She fancied rowing and joined a club. They noticed she was bloody good at it and she rose from novice to Brit champs in no time at all.

She switched to cycling quite recently. So she didn't build a bike at 14.

But one thing that stands out in her bio is 'She joined a rowing club', which is the first step to getting some proper coaching.

I don't suppose there's much you can do if your canoe gets a puncture. :biggrin: Keel haul a small boy to tar the hole.

jimboalee

yello said:
Aside:

Oh jimbo, you're slipping up. Plenty of scope for a link to a nun joke there!

Only following a McB contribution.

jimboalee

A nun was staying at a Bed & Breakfast. She was taking a bath when there was a knock on the door. "Who is it?" she asked. "Blind man" came the reply.
Feeling obliged, she stood up in the bath and opened the door to speak to the blind man.
"Where do you want me to hang these blinds, love?" the man asked.

Cubist

Still wavin'
A novice nun was walking along the cloister and tripped on a flagstone. "Oh shoot! she said.
"Oh God, I shouldn't have said shoot!"
"Oh bollocks, I shouldn't have said God!"
"Ah f*ck it, who wants to be a nun anyway...."

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Young Un said:
Sam, you need to look here,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=682

And in particular, here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22687

Both myself and joe24 ride spd-sl's and we are both very happy with them, infact it is probably one of the only things we do agree on.

Those pedals linked above, will come with the cleats (the part that you bolt to your shoe) so you just need to buy some shoes.

Oh, and I agree with Dave5N, aldi socks are the business, I have three pairs and they are very good - they are also great for skidding around the kitchen floor in.:thumbsup:

Do i need cleats with them?

Top Bottom