Bike shop told me to use thread lock on pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

>Never use white lithium grease on pedals.

I'd be curious as to where you got that from.
Pretty sure I used to use it pretty much universally years ago, never had a problem...and a brief web search just seems to throw up somethin akin to an old wive's tale/mtb mag waffle. Castrol LM - typically lobbed in wheel bearings and I've also used for years - is a lithium grease.
The white stuff is a bit thin, tho'

Threadlock's worth putting on things you really don't want to come undone in a hurry, such as disc rotor/caliper bolts but I don't bother/seem to need to use it elsewhere.

I think there's a few cases where copaslip's a better choice, istr summat related to titanium frames...
I have had to use a long steel bar and a pedal spanner too many times to remove pedals that have had white grease on them on bikes built up elsewhere, you can see the solid crap that comes back out of the thread once you get the pedal out, same with seat pins, white grease welds them in place.

Brown grease comes in all kind of weights, even the lighter stuff does not mess up a perfectly good bike the way white grease does.

henshaw11

I have had to use a long steel bar and a pedal spanner too many times to remove pedals that have had white grease on them on bikes built up elsewhere, you can see the solid crap that comes back out of the thread once you get the pedal out, same with seat pins, white grease welds them in place.

Brown grease comes in all kind of weights, even the lighter stuff does not mess up a perfectly good bike the way white grease does.

Monkeys tightening up the pedals mebbe ?
Not using enough might be an issue - and perhaps it might be a bit rubbish long term, but as for *causing* corrosion I'm a bit sceptical - still, YMMV (and obviously does). Sure the white stuff wasn't ally oxide ?
In the days I used to use it (unless you wanted to buy a big tub of Castrol, that was normally what yer LBS sold in small quantities), I used to strip down the bike every few months anyway. That said, I didn't remove the pedals very often...

Zoiders

Monkeys tightening up the pedals mebbe ?
Not using enough might be an issue - and perhaps it might be a bit rubbish long term, but as for *causing* corrosion I'm a bit sceptical - still, YMMV (and obviously does). Sure the white stuff wasn't ally oxide ?
In the days I used to use it (unless you wanted to buy a big tub of Castrol, that was normally what yer LBS sold in small quantities), I used to strip down the bike every few months anyway. That said, I didn't remove the pedals very often...
People leave pedals on for years, white grease seizes them every time.

Newtons law - if it was so tight you needed a big 4ft long bar to remove it that would mean somone used a 4 foot long pedal spanner to fit it...unless the grease made it seize of course.

White grease - it's just generaly crap and cause more proplems than it solves.

Jables156

I always use Copper slip but not sure if that has been banned now as its carcinogenic (?), we used to use it all the time at work for bolts on stuff that was stripped down on a regular basis, certainly did the trick !

henshaw11

>unless the grease made it seize of course.

As an engineer I'd say that could be an assumption too far ;)
As (I think) I suggested, there's a difference between the grease *making* it seize, and being sufficiently rubbish that it doesn't do the job you hope it does..

I think we're agreed that there's probably better stuff to use :smile:

Top Bottom