Bike shops discouraging new cyclists ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple of things lately when going into bike shops...

Went into a bike shop that was part of a normal town shopping centre. Looked at the stock and an assistant came up and chatted to me, so I asked a few questions on thier drop bar range. He then proceeded to tell me I would need to spend at least £5000 (not a typo!) in order to get an 'entry level bike that was worth having'. I should add, he was already aware I was not looking to compete or race. I was also told a 'decent' bike would be at least £12,000 or more.

I visited a large shopping mall where Ribble had a shop, a more intimidating 'only rich people' sort of display I have never seen, despite having seen plenty of expensive high end bikes for sale over the years. Its really sad that a bike shop most likely to be the main one seen by children due to its locations, comes across so badly, both intimidating and unreachable to normal people just from the initial impression of its displays. Totally cold and unwelcoming visually.
Its handy to be aware of this though as I have mail ordered from them in the past but will not do so again as I don't wish to encorage the elevation of cycling to only the very well off.

In 2 of the many cycle shops I have recently looked around, the male assistants ignored me for some while but headed briskly towards any bloke who happened to enter the shop after me. Do some guys really still think women can't be worthwhile cyclists? Are we back in the 1870's ?

In another shop while buying a messenger bag reduced in a sale, the male assistant at the till while I was already paying, card in machine, insisted on giving me a 'guided tour' of the bag as if I could not work out what a laptop compartment could possibly be for or have the capacity to work out how to use velcro. No, thats not a joke.

I have been surprised to encounter some of these negative experiences and its made me feel very sad. I do wonder how many children and inexperienced adults will end up thinking of cycling as being unobtainable to them or just too intimidating to be worth pursuing.

I did find some good bike staff in some Cheltenham bike shops when I happened to be there. I also took a look in Decathlon as I don't have that sports shop anywhere near me - I have to say the bike mechanic I came across was excellent in his approach and I could not recommend him more for helpfulness, friendliness and for seeing bikes as for all, not just for extreamely well off men.

Whinge over, you can escape now if you even read this far!

icowden

Veteran
Totally agree with you. Unfortunately bike shops are often run by bike nerds - especially the independent ones.
The best bike shop I've been in is Sigma Sports - friendly staff of both genders, no hard sell or up sell, genuinely interested in trying to help me find what I needed and not what they thought I needed.

I came away with a reasonably priced pair of cycling shoes that fitted well. My local bike shop told me I should get super light road shoes (which had no chance of fitting my flipper like feet) costing over £100 more than the shoes I got from Sigma.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

PK99

Legendary Member
Totally agree with you. Unfortunately bike shops are often run by bike nerds - especially the independent ones.
The best bike shop I've been in is Sigma Sports - friendly staff of both genders, no hard sell or up sell, genuinely interested in trying to help me find what I needed and not what they thought I needed.

I came away with a reasonably priced pair of cycling shoes that fitted well. My local bike shop told me I should get super light road shoes (which had no chance of fitting my flipper like feet) costing over £100 more than the shoes I got from Sigma.

We have found Sigma equally good. No gross up-selling, just a meeting of real need.

Punkawallah

Über Member
It can be even worse if English is not your first language or you happen be a person of colour.

It’s not racism, but a sort of elitism in a space normally occupied by white middle class (often middle age) men.

Objection! I am considered old man, and working class, but can be just as, if not more, elitist than those middle aged, middle class softies!

DogmaStu

Bike shops are only as good as the Staff who operate them obviously. Sadly, you will encounter some with clueless salespersons who actually know little about bikes and are only interested in looking good at the end of the month when their individual sales figures are reviewed.

The chains tend to be the worst unfortunately.

But, there are plenty of really good independents who actually know their stuff. I'm not aware of any local to me now - not been here long and do most of my own bike work - but back in Portugal and the Netherlands, I used small shops, family owned, who were truly excellent. No hard sell, good knowledge, active in the Sport themselves, good advice for commuters, leisure riders and sporty types alike.

If you are ever in Portimao on holiday and need a bike repair, rent or buy, OneBike is excellent; husband and wife team. Good shops do exist.

gbb

Legendary Member
Has it got more to do with the route many bike shops have taken now, more a boutique than an old fashioned shop.
My LBS (I don't really ride anymore and havnt been in there for quite some time) is a small independent, been there years, a classic style bike shop, were always helpfull, respectfull and Co Incidentally, the owners are / were a man and wife who I suspect is herself an accomplished cyclist, so they had a good range of ladies bikes and plenty of female customers it seemed.
Now if I go into the new abomination by Ferry Meadows, Rutland Cycles...it's what I call a classic boutique style shop, super clean, bikes and expensive kit all lined up and nicely displayed, young, clean cut staff that just ooze that kind of energy I don't like, like they're doing you a favour even talking to you.

So you vote with your feet, been in there once, never went in again. Sadly, it seems there are more shops that use that model nowadays....

figbat

Slippery scientist
Couple of things lately when going into bike shops...

Went into a bike shop that was part of a normal town shopping centre. Looked at the stock and an assistant came up and chatted to me, so I asked a few questions on thier drop bar range. He then proceeded to tell me I would need to spend at least £5000 (not a typo!) in order to get an 'entry level bike that was worth having'. I should add, he was already aware I was not looking to compete or race. I was also told a 'decent' bike would be at least £12,000 or more.

I visited a large shopping mall where Ribble had a shop, a more intimidating 'only rich people' sort of display I have never seen, despite having seen plenty of expensive high end bikes for sale over the years. Its really sad that a bike shop most likely to be the main one seen by children due to its locations, comes across so badly, both intimidating and unreachable to normal people just from the initial impression of its displays. Totally cold and unwelcoming visually.
Its handy to be aware of this though as I have mail ordered from them in the past but will not do so again as I don't wish to encorage the elevation of cycling to only the very well off.

In 2 of the many cycle shops I have recently looked around, the male assistants ignored me for some while but headed briskly towards any bloke who happened to enter the shop after me. Do some guys really still think women can't be worthwhile cyclists? Are we back in the 1870's ?

In another shop while buying a messenger bag reduced in a sale, the male assistant at the till while I was already paying, card in machine, insisted on giving me a 'guided tour' of the bag as if I could not work out what a laptop compartment could possibly be for or have the capacity to work out how to use velcro. No, thats not a joke.

I have been surprised to encounter some of these negative experiences and its made me feel very sad. I do wonder how many children and inexperienced adults will end up thinking of cycling as being unobtainable to them or just too intimidating to be worth pursuing.

I did find some good bike staff in some Cheltenham bike shops when I happened to be there. I also took a look in Decathlon as I don't have that sports shop anywhere near me - I have to say the bike mechanic I came across was excellent in his approach and I could not recommend him more for helpfulness, friendliness and for seeing bikes as for all, not just for extreamely well off men.

Whinge over, you can escape now if you even read this far!

It is really disheartening to read that this sort of behaviour still goes on. If bike shops continue to portray cycling as an elitist, male pastime it's no wonder they are going under in droves.

Do you offer any of this feedback to the companies involved? I'm sure that at a corporate level there will be "values" and "behaviours" that all staff are expected to follow and "positive retraining" will be offered to any who "fall below their high expectations".

Jameshow

Veteran
It can be even worse if English is not your first language or you happen be a person of colour.

It’s not racism, but a sort of elitism in a space normally occupied by white middle class (often middle age) men.

As a white middle aged / class male, I don't find such stereotypes helpful, I myself find such shops are as hostile to me as anyone else. Unless you want some fancy race machine or some posh touring bike they are not interested in you. I end up buying a water bottle and leaving.
Good friendly service isn't hard!

Top Bottom