Bike sizing advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking at buying a bike with a 47cm frame - I'm only 5'2" and the current owner is 5'4", so I'm guessing this will be ok for me?

All/any advice gratefully received as I have no experience of how a road bike should fit me and I don't want to find I've got it wrong after buying it:cry:

Broadly, yes it will be in the ball park, but what TMN says above is right on the money.

We have an old 48cm Pinarello Angliru, which is (or has been) used by three family members: Wife 5' 5", daughter 5' 3" and son 5' 6" and still growing.

Different stem lengths and various saddle and bar adjustments have been done, but all are comfortable on it. I suspest my son is just about outgrowing it but we have nothing else under 52cm.

There is a (strong) school of thought that you will not know until you've ridden it, but I've bought unseen and unridden and have never found a geometry so unpalatable as to be unuseable.

Also, my children all came up through various kiddie bikes and then through the roadbike sizes we had at the time: 43cm, 48cm and 52cm. In all cases they simply got on, got comfortable and got riding. I think it is possible (particularly for the leisure rider) to get too swept up in the quest for the ultimate fit.

With a little imagination, a couple of stems of different lengths and a plumb line you can usually find a set-up that suits on a bike that is (in theory) about the right frame size.

Good luck. If you like it, I'd buy it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
According to this size guide it may be a tiny bit small for you.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/sizing_guides.aspx

Guides are only guides though a full fitting uses several body measurements ,not just height/leg length.

Try it but dont buy it if your not happy .A bike that doesnt fit wont be any fun..OK you can fit longer stems seatposts etc etc but far better to get it right.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A lot depends on your attitude to having a high seat compared to the bars. Personally I like the seat only an inch or two higher than the bars others would disagree.

If your new to roadbikes and the seat has to be much higher than the bars you may find it takes a bit of getting used to compared to the more upright position on a flat bar bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Depends where you measure from - to. Is it centre to centre, centre to top - of top tube, or seat tube, centre to virtual top tube centre - 47cm could mean lots of different things.
I'm 5ft 2" and bought a Ribble Gran Fondo 44cm frame it's just about perfect for me.
- for example the Gran Fondo has a sloping top tube, and the 44cm is centre BB to top of seat tube - I don't know what the measurement would be to the virtual top tube centre - probably around 47cm.

Top Bottom