Bike spraying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I'm currently at the painting stage with my Bamboo bike. Unfortunately powder coating is not an option, so it's the traditional way for me. I'm going to be using paint from spray.bike which works like a powder coat and is supposedly less work than car paints. However, the prep work is still laborious and good results not guaranteed.
I used the spray.bike stuff. The paint itself was very easy to apply evenly, but getting uniform coverage with the lacquer was not as easy. I had to sand down my first attempt at the forks and start again.

BTW is it just the paint left to finish? Have you tried to ride it at all?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'd figured the lacquer might be problematic, though I'd still be using it with car paint, so at least the easy finish of the colour will help.

Apart from a couple of small jobs it is only the paint to go. I've only ever partially built it up, so no, never ridden. I'm saving that joy for later and trying to not rush to that point.

Reactions: C R

keithmac

Guru
I'm currently at the painting stage with my Bamboo bike. Unfortunately powder coating is not an option, so it's the traditional way for me. I'm going to be using paint from spray.bike which works like a powder coat and is supposedly less work than car paints. However, the prep work is still laborious and good results not guaranteed.

What about spraying the joints and just lacquering the main bamboo "tubes"?.

I'd be wanting to show as much bamboo as possible!.

keithmac

Guru
If you are getting it powder coated, check that they know which silicone bungs to use to protect the threads :smile:

I've lost count the amount of motorcycle wheels where I've spent an hour or more with a stanley blade removing powder coat from disk mounting surfaces, then re-tapping the bolt holes, then cleaning the hub to accept the bearings....

screenman

Legendary Member
I can spray and taught it for a few years, I would not do a bike frame unless I wanted to fill an awful lot of hours, which I do not.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom