Bike spraying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rupie

Über Member
Evening,

Just acquired an old steel fixie, from a friend. Its not a specific brand or model but the paint is in a sorry state.

I thought of respraying it and changing the colour from a bad red to something more relaxed and lighter. The taking it apart bit isn't hard but not sure of the actual paint bit, is it a bad idea, I have no special facilities, just a garage and lots of enthusiasm. I don't have a million pounds either.

Thanks

No idea about painting, is powder coating an option generally about £40 for frame and forks round here

si_c

Guru
Another vote for powder coating, by the time youvey bought everything you'll need (paint remover, paint, clear coat), you'll pay not much less anyway.

Plus powder coating will last forever.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to spend the money go the powder coat route, if you don't its plenty of sandpaper, elbow grease and a rattle can.

Reactions: C R

iluvmybike

Über Member
I did that with my bike last summer, and as @si_c said, I probably spent as much on materials as if I had sent it off somewhere. It was fun though, but I don't think I would do it again.
The frame prep is the hardest part and if not done properly means your DIY paint job can be a poor finish - so for what it costs defo worth getting it done professionally. Stove enamelling is lovely but a bit expensive

midlife

Guru
If you are getting it powder coated, check that they know which silicone bungs to use to protect the threads :smile:

C R

Guru
The frame prep is the hardest part and if not done properly means your DIY paint job can be a poor finish - so for what it costs defo worth getting it done professionally. Stove enamelling is lovely but a bit expensive
Preparation is key, I spent a lot longer cleaning and sanding than painting, and used tons of sandpaper of different grades.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I resprayed my forks which require way much less work than a frame.
The sanding of the old paint was a pain in the ass.
Smoothing it was a pain in the ass.
Priming it was a pain in the ass.
Painting it was a pain in the ass.
Clear coating it was a pain in the ass.
I plan on getting the frame and forks resprayed soon as the vantage is showing her age these days.
I'm letting some poor sap at a professional paint shop do it next time.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you must spray it yourself, they finish it with Spraymax 2K lacquer. Anything else just chips and falls off. The downside is that while Spraymax is proper stuff, it ain't cheap, and with primer, paint and consumables you've spent as much as getting it powder coated. I'd only consider that rooute if I were doing a resto and trying to either preserve or recreate an original paint job.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most alloy wheel refurb places take bikes. One near me charges £50 including media blasting. He even posts pictures of the finished frames and wheels on his Facebook page.

It will cost you more in time and materials to DIY and it won't be as tough.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm currently at the painting stage with my Bamboo bike. Unfortunately powder coating is not an option, so it's the traditional way for me. I'm going to be using paint from spray.bike which works like a powder coat and is supposedly less work than car paints. However, the prep work is still laborious and good results not guaranteed.

Top Bottom