Bike Sprays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to be such an ignoramus, but can anyone explain to me how these 3 differ in terms of constituents and best usage please?

I have the top one and currently use it as a finish spray after washing my bike and pre-lubing. Was wondering if it will also serve to degrease the cassette before I wash it, and to lube the derailleurs/brake cables, or if I should buy one or both of the other sprays for those jobs. Thanks.

http://muc-off.com/protect-shine/58-bike-spray-5037835908008.html

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOMODEG/muc-off-degreaser

http://www.gt85.co.uk/product-range

vickster

Legendary Member
You wash bikes? Baby wipes to get the dust/dirt off and be done with it

D

Deleted member 23692

The top one sounds like GT85 in a MucOff can.. and at several times the price

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
The top one sounds like GT85 in a MucOff can.. and at several times the price

That's what I thought. I got it as part of a cleaning kit as a present so the price was no issue for me, but will stick to GT85 when buying myself. @Pale Rider tells me GT85 will work as a degreaser on the cassette etc too, so seems there's no need for either Muc Off product, unless others come along with conflicting advice.

migrantwing

Veteran
GT85! Always! Cheap, cheerful, does the job and smells great. Can even use it to polish your dining table ;)

WD40 is better for getting gunk off of components and degreasing. GT85 is better as a finishing spray...and did I mention that it smells great?

WD40 vs GT85 (50 sec video)

Last edited:

uclown2002

Guru
And which is better for a quick squirt to lube the derailleurs/brake mech?
Spray can of lithium grease.

Tojo

Über Member
GT85 all the time as when Aldi have their cycling events on it's only £1.99 a can........... I always buy about 4 cans at a time as Aldi only do these a couple to 3 times a year, as I saw at my LBS it was £5.99 a can......:thumbsup:

Saying that it's not a cure all.... you do need other specific lubricants, basically I use it quite a lot just to flush gunk out of hard to reach places when I get a bike in for service- problems before I start and when finished re-grease, lubricate (after more cleaning) with the appropriate product...Don't rely on it its not that good as it is mainly solvent and propellant, it doesn't leave much lube left when all that's gone....:wacko:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a permanent £2 a tin deal with my local bike shop.

If I wanted a dozen at a time he'd let me have them for less as he told me he pays around £1.10, depending on quantity.

What Aldi pays would only be speculation, so I will - under £1 I expect.

Tojo

Über Member
:hello:
I have a permanent £2 a tin deal with my local bike shop.

If I wanted a dozen at a time he'd let me have them for less as he told me he pays around £1.10, depending on quantity.

What Aldi pays would only be speculation, so I will - under £1 I expect.

I would expect you are correct....Who is your local as I deduce ( form your post on
Cycling along the Tyne
you are near me........:hello:,,,,:whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
:hello:

I would expect you are correct....Who is your local as I deduce ( form your post on
Cycling along the Tyne
you are near me........:hello:,,,,:whistle:

Peter Darke Cycles in Sunderland.

It's nowt flash, but they do a good, steady job, and try to compete on price for accessories and parts when they can.

Tojo

Über Member
Peter Darke Cycles in Sunderland.

It's nowt flash, but they do a good, steady job, and try to compete on price for accessories and parts when they can.

Cheers Mate,
I'm on the north side we have a wee shop up in Northumberland and he's helpful as F**k but he is finding it hard to compete, support the good un's cause the websites can't help you when yer oot and standing by the road....:thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheers Mate,
I'm on the north side we have a wee shop up in Northumberland and he's helpful as F**k but he is finding it hard to compete, support the good un's cause the websites can't help you when yer oot and standing by the road....:thumbsup:

Quite right.

The saddle split on my new Cannondale mountain bike yesterday.

Darke's changed it, as I expected them to.

Sorting that would have been a faff if I had to send it back to an online retailer.

Top Bottom