Bike stands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

I know there are a lot of people here who think these things are great and some that don't see the point. But what do you get for your money? As far as I would use one, it holds your bike off the ground leaving you two hands to work with. So why such a huge differance in price?

From the £16.99 one to things like the £242 one. With the mid range seeming to be about £50-60

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have the Spin Doctor from Wiggle. Great piece of kit. Don't know how I ever managed without it. One of my best buys imho.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
When i get round to it, i'll be putting up one of those wall mounted microwave mounts that extend. I'l going to put it on the shed wall, and i've already padded everything with minicell foam, and even put gap in so it holds the bike.
Still got to see if it works though, got 2 of them, but going to give it a go with just the one.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ianrauk said:
I have the Spin Doctor from Wiggle. Great piece of kit. Don't know how I ever managed without it. One of my best buys imho.

I agree, I have the same one and it has made things so much easier,

Plax

Guru
I've just gone and spent a whopping £16 on the Minoura one. I've had enough of my yard stick so thought I'd try a cheapo one for doing things like adjusting gears and chain cleaning. If I get the hang of this bike maintenance malarky I might splash out for a higher spec one.

It only took a year of nagging but Ive finally managed to persuade the accounts dept that we need proper workshop quality workstands. Up to now we've been using an assortment of different portable stands (Minoura, Park, Tacx) but they just aren't up to the job. Each of our two workstations might be visited by 15 or more bikes in a working day. One of the issues we have with portable stands is their light weight. In order to be stable and light they need a wide base which means that the legs stick out and people trip over them so all three legs on my two month old Tacx are bent. They're just too long and too lightweight. The plastic rotation adjust lever broke off within a week so it now wears a pair of mole grips. Spandexes Park stand is little better, it's impossible to do up the quick-release levers on the main upright enough to stop it rotating, the whole affair sags so that the bike is at an angle and the forks swing round and again it's just too light weight to withstand the kind of effort one sometimes needs to apply to a bike without becoming unstable.

What I really wanted was a pair of French VAR stands but we settled for kestrel. VAR stands use an enormous sheet of plate steel for a base which must weigh close to 75 kilos. Ive used Kestrel stands for years, a bit cheaper than VAR but they're heavy, you can bolt them to the floor and they last for decades. Six week delivery though.

Plax said:
I've just gone and spent a whopping £16 on the Minoura one. I've had enough of my yard stick so thought I'd try a cheapo one for doing things like adjusting gears and chain cleaning. If I get the hang of this bike maintenance malarky I might splash out for a higher spec one.
I found it a bit of a pain for adjusting gears as its arms tended to get stuck in the spokes but it was OK for chain cleaning. I bought mine with similar intentions and upgraded later to the Lifeline, no loss it still makes a good display stand.

Top Bottom