Bike Stolen - Night rider coming up! Help!!

beany_bot

Über Member
Im meant to be doing the 100km Glasgow night ride on Saturday and I've just had my bike stolen :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

they broke the lock, I've called the police and reported it yada yada.

Thing is.... What am I going to do for the nightride? My bike wasn't expensive but it was setup the way I like it. It was a cheap roadbike I had stuck 32C tyres on. I don't want to spend more than a few hundreds of pounds on a replacement. I can get a cyclocross bike from Halfords for around £400-£500.

Would you cycle 100km on a bike you don't know well haven't ridden a lot?

What a headache.

I would, yes. Get the contact points set up the same, and hopefully get the same model of saddle you are used to. You have a couple of days to give it the once over, do some short test rides and check everything is tight. Hopefully you have records of the setup.

OP
B

beany_bot

Über Member
I would, yes. Get the contact points set up the same, and hopefully get the same model of saddle you are used to. You have a couple of days to give it the once over, do some short test rides and check everything is tight. Hopefully you have records of the setup.
I don't sadly. None at all.

I had to ride 130 Kms on an unfamiliar bike last year, because some scrote swiped the bike I was riding, whilst I was on a cafe break, so rather than give in to them and use public transport to get home, I nipped into a Decathlon branch, bought a replacement bike and rode the 130 Kms home. You get accustomed to any slight differences ‘on the hoof’, in my experience. I stuck the replacement bike on the credit card, and paid it off when I got the insurance pay out.

rivers

How far can I go?
If you have a decathalon nearby, you can get a slightly better equipped bike with a sora groupset for about the same money

Reactions: C R

C R

Veteran
I think this the bike @rivers suggested,
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-id_8377757.html
For the same money I think the decathlon one beats the competition hands down.

OP
B

beany_bot

Über Member
If you have a decathalon nearby, you can get a slightly better equipped bike with a sora groupset for about the same money
I can get to a decathlon tonight. Will they help fit me to the bike?

That black and white bike looks nice but 25C tyres is a no no for me. The bike would have to fit at least 30C. (I cycle a lot of tow paths).

C R

Veteran
I can get to a decathlon tonight. Will they help fit me to the bike?

That black and white bike looks nice but 25C tyres is a no no for me. The bike would have to fit at least 30C. (I cycle a lot of tow paths).
They have a few variants, so they may have one that has 32mm tyres as standard, but I think those variants are dearer. In any case, you may be able to fit 32s to the 520.

OP
B

beany_bot

Über Member
That Triban 520 will take upto 28C tyres. Not sure how I will like that coming from 32C... hmmm....
Does anyone know if Decathlon are flexible? i.e. would they swap the 25c's on it as stock for 28c's for me for free? Like a LBS might.

C R

Veteran
That Triban 520 will take upto 28C tyres. Not sure how I will like that coming from 32C... hmmm....
Does anyone know if Decathlon are flexible? i.e. would they swap the 25c's on it as stock for 28c's for me for free? Like a LBS might.
I don't know if they would do that, but no harm in asking.

If the 32mm tyre is a deal breaker, then maybe the Halfords one is a reasonable choice. The 520 gravel variant comes with 35mm tyres, but it costs £850, as it is 105 equiped.

The ones in @rivers post look very good choices.

Top Bottom