Bike storage at work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Its 10/12 minute walk from my place (oppo Bewley Hotel), so I really don't fancy getting changed and a good walk in my cycle kit and then cycling home. If I was closer to town it would be ideal.

Nevermind, the bike will get wet.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Its 10/12 minute walk from my place (oppo Bewley Hotel), so I really don't fancy getting changed and a good walk in my cycle kit and then cycling home. If I was closer to town it would be ideal.

Nevermind, the bike will get wet.

I walked from my place next to Leeds City Hall last week and there's many others do the same - and that's a 15 minute walk!

If you're next to Bewley's doesn't the Asda car park on Sweet Street have a bike bit? I'm sure they'd never check ...

I work in a building with underground parking and very good provision for bikes. The area is pretty secure and dry plus we have a dedicated shower and changing room for cyclists. We're lucky in that the area used for bikes is 'dead space' as far as cars is concerned but there's plenty of it and it has stands to lock the bike to. All of this provision has definitely had a positive effect on the number of people commuting by bike. Now if Belfast City Council would just get on and reinstate the B2W scheme I'll be even happier :smile:

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
@Jamin100
You work for RM don't you... :rolleyes:

If you're next to Bewley's doesn't the Asda car park on Sweet Street have a bike bit? I'm sure they'd never check ...

I might have a look tomorrow, thanks. I really don't want to add 30 minutes travel time a day back and forth from the station.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
We've moved to a new 'purpose built' building. Loads of green credentials. Ground source heat pumps. Heat reclamation etc etc. We had to have a 'travel Plan' in place before we got planning permission, to reduce the carbon footprint regarding commuting. they're committed to promoting car sharing, public transport and cycling. Anything to reduce the number of miles driven by single occupancy cars.
Yeah.
Right......
They have set up a cycle to work scheme
Old place we could drag our bikes inside, stick 'em away in a corner. Safe and dry. Because they weren't promoting C2W there weren't many bikes and fewer 'decent' cycles.
Now they've got a few people signed up. They've been out and got their machines. Now these are Yorkshiremen and in keeping with their heritage, they've struck some good deals with local shops. There's 3 or 4 with a sale price of just under £1k theres at least 1 with a book price of over £2k
Will they be able to bring them inside as before?
No
We're having a cycle shelter outside. I use the term 'shelter' very loosely. At present the shelters there, but no suport for the bikes. I pointed out the shelter was designed with wheelbenders. We've been able to access 2 freebie sheffield stands. Enough for 4 bikes (the shelters allegedly designed for 6 in wheelbenders!)
Whilst we've waited one of the guys has been parking his motorbike under there. Sideways to make best of the coverage. Last time it rained, I went out. There wasn't a bit dry. Its also positioned near the gates of a 'secure yard' - where the gates are normally open.....
Up to now, it doesn't make much difference as the cycle shed isn't up and running. Short term we can still find quiet corners inside......

............ You could keep your bike in there at the Leeds Cyclepoint. There's a charge, but I think members of Leeds Cycling Action Group can use it free if there's space?

I can vouch for that facility, and LCAG get 'day storage' free, I dont know what that means as luckily I'm getting travel costs met (inc cycle storage fees) so I get 24hr access inc key card.

Whilst we've waited one of the guys has been parking his motorbike under there. Sideways to make best of the coverage. ......

Leave a note asking him not to, if he still parks it there D-Lock his wheel wheel with a note you will unlock after a week by which time he will have learnt his lesson.:evil:

jamin100

Guru
@Jamin100
You work for RM don't you... :rolleyes:

No but i work in a school and thankfully there's no RM anything here :smile:

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
I am going to end up like this comic...

Screenshot31.png

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Yeah I think I will check the weather, if its poor then I will use the CP and if good leave it outside around the back. Thanks you your input, I was sure I saw you DCLane going up Meanwood road on Friday?

I'd seriously go for the Leeds Cyclepoint since it's at most a 7-8 minute walk, secure and worth it for a £7 pa LCAG membership.

If it's taking 10-12 minutes, walk faster :tongue:

Do you get full access for that? I know LCAG quotes it as 'day access' which I read as you not getting a keycard for when its not manned (1900-0700).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks you your input, I was sure I saw you DCLane going up Meanwood road on Friday?

Nope, not me. On Friday I went into Leeds from the south, so you'll see me coming past your place in the morning into Leeds and back out in the pm/evening. i.e. in about 15-20 minutes time!

On the Carrera today, but it'll be the Secteur most days shortly.

Do you get full access for that? I know LCAG quotes it as 'day access' which I read as you not getting a keycard for when its not manned (1900-0700).

No, it's day access only, without a keycard.

Top Bottom