Bike storage at work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Afters all,
At work since there are a grand total of 2 cyclists at any one time we have been (semi) allowed to store our bikes under some stairs inside, it’s been great on poor weather days. I had mentioned to the building manager that could we get a proper bike shed for storage as I am always nagged by the security guard about leaving the bike inside and they spoke to the landlord who has offered to move some motorbike security poles (the ones like a upside down U) to the back of the building without any cover.

My rant is they will spend thousands each year on extra parking for cars yet they expect me to leave my bike open to the elements whilst at work after only last year a bike was stolen from under the security’s noses, how much do bike sheds cost FFS? Any way I emailed them reminding them of their own environmental policy and how can they talk such gibba jabba when they fail to support those who try and make a change.. :ph34r:

Really don't fancy leaving me £900 bike sat out in the rain whilst at work...

Anyone else leave their bikes outside?

martint235

Dog on a bike
My bike is outside in a strange double decker set up of bike racks. It does have a roof over it though. The bit I'll miss when I move jobs is the armed police patrolling around making sure no one touches them.

Reactions: gaz

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nope. Mine sits less than 2m from where I'm sat typing this. Despite us having two covered so-called bike sheds. I used to store mine out there until someone tampered with it. Indoors is a flagrant abuse of power on my part. But then I turn a blind eye to the other cyclists who store their bikes by their desks as well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If every day, buy a bike cover. Cheap, will rip, but gaffa tape fixes that. Mine only gets left outside a couple of times a week at other sites, so don't bother now. Before we got covered parking I did use a cover on the bike every day, and bring it to/from work in my rucksack.

jpaavfc

I'm quite lucky to be honest as my gaffer lets my sister and myself leave our bikes inside where they are pretty secure. My friend though is in a similar situation. He works for an aerospace company in the midlands and they have quite a few cyclists and an outdoor cycle rack with only partial sheltering. Many times he comes out of work to a soaked bike.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Yeah might think about a cover, dont really want extra kit in my rucksack like. Also with it been not covered I wont be able to leave my lock without it rusting... Such a hard life.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Stored in the basement, which needs a keycard to access, security right next to entrance and exit.
It doesn't stop people getting in and stealing the odd bike. Funny how they leave the near millions of pounds worth of cars down there though (Classic Bently, classic ferrari, aston martins, bentlys, porches and the odd AMG mercades).

lejogger

Guru
I like you keep my bike under the stairs, however it is in our entrance atrium. Fortunately you need a code to get in the front door so it's reasonably secure. The director hasn't seemed too bothered so far, so I think it will continue to be ok - if he were to protest the only other option would be for them to invest in some sort of bike shelter, probably at the expense of one of the existing parking spaces, so that's unlikely with the few spaces we have. We have signed up to the government's Cycling Guarantee, so having a space under the stairs is probably the minimum we could ask for.

I've been having a shower in the top floor facilities block of a building a 10 minute walk away from the office for the past 2 years, but this week my boss told me that there are plans to convert one of our stationery rooms into a shower facility. I was amazed, it seemed like my persistance had paid off and I was being rewarded for my commitment... but then it turns out that the director and his number two both realised it would be nice to have somewhere to freshen up after their morning rounds of golf in the summer... still, although still unappreciated, at least I'll get my shower!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like you keep my bike under the stairs, however it is in our entrance atrium. Fortunately you need a code to get in the front door so it's reasonably secure. The director hasn't seemed too bothered so far, so I think it will continue to be ok - if he were to protest the only other option would be for them to invest in some sort of bike shelter, probably at the expense of one of the existing parking spaces, so that's unlikely with the few spaces we have. We have signed up to the government's Cycling Guarantee, so having a space under the stairs is probably the minimum we could ask for.

I've been having a shower in the top floor facilities block of a building a 10 minute walk away from the office for the past 2 years, but this week my boss told me that there are plans to convert one of our stationery rooms into a shower facility. I was amazed, it seemed like my persistance had paid off and I was being rewarded for my commitment... but then it turns out that the director and his number two both realised it would be nice to have somewhere to freshen up after their morning rounds of golf in the summer... still, although still unappreciated, at least I'll get my shower!
I sold our second shower like that. Pointed out that our marathon running director was always having to wait at lunchtimes for the footballers to rinse off. Hey presto! New shower. Which I use in the mornings.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Balls to them, I will keep putting the bike under the stairs until forced to put it outside. I might mention to them about signing up to Cycling Guarantee as they fit most if it with the exception of storage and lockers.

Thread hijack alert:biggrin:

I'm in the process of negotiating for more space as the indoor space is full so its likely to be outside, and need suggestiions from anyone for

a) Secure storage - cages or similiar needed, need not be individual
b) Covered as well - assume will be open to the elements

Anyone got experience?

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Got the email back that once the bollards are moved to the back of the building (a bike was nicked as it was like a show room for the chavs of Holbeck at the front) we are no longer allowed to store bikes inside...

I have complained that they are encouraging the cycle to work program yet when people sign up to it they refuse to offer decent storage yet pay thousands a year in extra parking spaces...

Broken Britain.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got the email back that once the bollards are moved to the back of the building (a bike was nicked as it was like a show room for the chavs of Holbeck at the front) we are no longer allowed to store bikes inside...

We're fortunate to have a secure bike cage on one of the two underground car park levels. There's also bike racks at both entrances. The university's pretty good with this.

As I commute through Holbeck I understand your concern. How far are you from Leeds rail station? You could keep your bike in there at the Leeds Cyclepoint. There's a charge, but I think members of Leeds Cycling Action Group can use it free if there's space?

Top Bottom