Bike storage - can I hang some ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Tonight, I was trying to work out if I could 'hang' a couple of bikes from the roof joists of my shed I got one up there, secure and hanging, BUT the way it hung is that all the weight of the bike is taken by the handlebars. The bike is about 1.5mtrs off the floor, hung parallel to the floor, with the only contact points being the last 6" of each end of the handlebars (the grip areas) Therefore, the entire weight of the bike is going through the head set, I felt that this position is putting an awful lot of stress through just one part of the bike, so I took it down. I have seen some images of bikes suspended through a hook passed through a wheel, and the bike hanging vertically, as though you are riding up the wall, but I cant fathom how it stops the bikes laying over side ways. Can anyone help with product info or ideas ?

steve50

Disenchanted Member

jim55

Guru
I think ur overthinking it , if a bike can't handle the weight of itself ( say 10-15 kilo on a rack) how would it cope with a person on it 60-80 kg ? It'll b fine

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
As stated above, the headset stress of hanging a bicycle would be negligible compared to riding it. If you wanted, you could use a couple of old inner tubes to hang the bicycles from the rafters, one around the headset and one around the saddle.

screenman

Legendary Member
Tonight, I was trying to work out if I could 'hang' a couple of bikes from the roof joists of my shed I got one up there, secure and hanging, BUT the way it hung is that all the weight of the bike is taken by the handlebars. The bike is about 1.5mtrs off the floor, hung parallel to the floor, with the only contact points being the last 6" of each end of the handlebars (the grip areas) Therefore, the entire weight of the bike is going through the head set, I felt that this position is putting an awful lot of stress through just one part of the bike, so I took it down. I have seen some images of bikes suspended through a hook passed through a wheel, and the bike hanging vertically, as though you are riding up the wall, but I cant fathom how it stops the bikes laying over side ways. Can anyone help with product info or ideas ?

If the front wheel is straight then the bike hangs straight.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Thanx everyone. The pics were useful Steve50 (my computer search skills have been likened to Neanderthal mans abilities in making fire) and went some way to explaining how bikes are hung with the manufacturers equipment. I can kinda follow what you all said about stresses when riding against but I am still thinking the way I had it wedged was a bit like asking a person to hold a bucket of water at arms length. The weight itself is easy to get off the ground but all the strain going through that one joint soon makes you drop it back to the ground. A couple of you suggested hanging from the rafters, but its a flat roofed shed, and I fear the weight would create a dip in the roof causing a water trap. Wall hangers are the way to go, and I think that is how I will spend Sunday, when I am not riding, trying to build a bit of a hanging rack along one wall and see how it goes. Cheers all again.

Sixmile

Veteran
The clug wall mounts look a great storage solution.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clug-roadie-bike-holder/

And Tacx have a very simple solution:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTRo8p3iscj8A1zjcohHGXqaoT0YKmrKzQZ9MZ3ZXJ6QXEPv19Zw.jpg
upload_2016-5-3_16-59-8.jpeg

http://www.vanillabikes.com/products/tacx-gem-wall-bike-bracket?gclid=CPbgu6SiucwCFUE_Gwod-m8LAA

Top Bottom