Bike storage - hung on end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Steadyrack posh option (but no mudguards ?)

View: https://vimeo.com/192746651

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5118224, member: 45"]I've got some of these, but the bikes do swing on them.

If I were you I'd mimic that cafe pic and fix something similar to what the bottom wheel sits in as well as these top hooks. Some kind of channel would do.[/QUOTE]

My bikes do not swing about on the cheap single hook that I use, the rear wheel must be off of the ground and the bike hung straight.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5118401, member: 45"]What I meant was that there's nothing to stop them swinging. Back up into one and knock it and if they're close together they can collide.[/QUOTE]

I have had them hanging like that for 30 years, there used to be more, guess I am careful not to back into them. They take quite a shove to get them to move, it may be down to the position of the hook.

I have had them hanging like that for 30 years, there used to be more, guess I am careful not to back into them. They take quite a shove to get them to move, it may be down to the position of the hook.
I guess it depends how cramped your garage is! More likely to give your bike a shove if you are working near it.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I mounted my hook on a bit of wood to save the tyres marking the wall .
25874219438_ea486686af_z.jpg

gaijintendo

Veteran

Brandane

Legendary Member
Presumably similar quality:
£2+p&p a pop hehttps://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOTERBSR/jobsworth-steel-wall-mounted-bike-hanger-(fixed-hook) so 4 for £12 delivered.
Just a word of warning when mounting these type of brackets....
I put 4 of them on my spare bedroom (aka bike store) wall just last week. Due to the design of them, the top screw hole does not sit flush with the wall (it is pushed out maybe 5mm by the bit that the rotating hook goes through). This means that when tightening the top screw, it might pull the top rawl-plug out of the wall by a few mm.. I know this because I found one of my bikes lying on the bedroom floor, along with the hanger unit, the following morning (it was the bike next to my new carbon baby so I was expecting the worst but luckily no damage to either bike).
The cure was to use a few metal washers between wall and the back of the top screw hole when mounting them. I also took them all down to re-affix them, and as well as using spacers behind the top screw hole I used heavier duty rawl-plugs and bigger screws than those supplied.

bpsmith

Veteran
A word of warning on fixings. My brackets cane with the softest, cheapest, screws I have ever seen. Managed to snap one when screwing in by hand, which I have never done before. The second one bent too, so soon binned the rest and used some quality replacements.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Some nice ideas here and as good as the posh doobrees available.

I don’t notice any locks being used though. I have fixed ground anchors to the wall and I chain the bikes with heavy, agricultural, hexagonal chains. Wrapped with a nylon cloth sleeve for obvious reasons. Having been a victim of theft, the police came round and did a ‘consultancy’ visit. The mechanical advantage/disadvantages of having a wall fitting is better on the floor apparently and for high end bikes, the discerning thief doesn’t want to damage his swag.

Top Bottom