Bike storage over winter - outdoor shed, unheated garage, or slightly humid basement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BataviaJim

Regular
The title has the options. Here's the issues:
  1. Outdoor shed -- least obtrusive, worst environment.
  2. Unheated attached garage -- better environment since temperature is moderated, but a bit in the way (even low-ceiling or wall mounted).
  3. Basement -- most moderate temperature by far, but somewhat humid first month or two, and most in the way.
Any suggestions about which way to go? Thanks.

T4tomo

Guru
lounge, dining room, bedroom?

all missing from your list:wacko:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mine all sit in an unheated garage, they've never come to any harm. I think the oldest one in there (my pub bike) has been stored in that manner for 9 years now, hardly ever gets cleaned or maintained, and it's not suffered any.
If I rode my best bike on a very wet and mucky day, it would get a quick spray of GT85 and then into the garage, it'll get a wash and lube once it's dry outside.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
B

BataviaJim

Regular
lounge, dining room, bedroom?

all missing from your list:wacko:
You must be single. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

BataviaJim

Regular
I guess garage is the leading contender. I didn't think the shed was a good idea but I couldn't decide between the other two.

The house is brick but the garage isn't, and I can't accommodate the "no cars" -- after the early years of cleaning snow off cars all winter, I couldn't get used to going back to that since I've had a garage.

Drago

Legendary Member
A brick built garage in good repair is ideal, damp and humidity free, None of my cycles or motorcycles have suffered the slightest bit of corrosion stored that way.

Wooden sheds are the worst, the bloody things always end up leaking somewhere.
Ah, but there are sheds, and there are sheds. Mine is 15' x 18' and has 50mm walls, and 19mm roof and floor. It's even double glazed.

Last edited:

Zanelad

Guru
The good bike lives in the utility room, unless Mrs Z is away and then it stays in the kitchen. The winter bike lives in the shed. If the shed is watertight it'll come to no harm. I do open a window during the day in the summer but that's mainly because my trackbike (motorcycle) shares space in there.

Top Bottom