Bike storage over winter - outdoor shed, unheated garage, or slightly humid basement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BataviaJim

Regular
Catching up on a few responses:

I live near Buffalo, NY. The winter temperature in the shed can reach -15C or lower, so the shed has the greatest temperature variability which is why I said it's the worst environment.

I definitely need winter storage -- bikes aren't good in a foot of snow.

Security isn't an issue with my shed. We live on a rural cul-de-sac. We did have one break-in in the neighborhood 35 years ago, but it was nearby teens looking for alcohol. That's been the extent of crime since I moved her in the early 80s.

We don't have gt85 here (at least not on Amazon U.S.). There are several similar products, of course, but not that one.
Until I looked for it I didn't realize how many varieties of WD40 there are. It seems like they've got a specialty for every kind of job. I wonder if the formulas differ or if they just change the label?

Thanks for all advice.

tyred

Legendary Member
ACF 50 is the ultimate in keeping rust at bay in my experience. It's pricey but we'll worth it if you want to store a bike in less than ideal circumstances.

Ours are in the garage. Mind you, I have never attempted to get a car in there, with or without the bikes. It's too full of bikes, tools, old camping stuff and lots of logs and kindling for the fire.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Dampness is what causes surface rust on steel, not the temperature. Whatever sort of shelter you store vehicles in, the important thing is they need to have some airflow, unless you can completely seal every crack and use a dehumidifier to control moisture content.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Indeed. It may be that the OPs shed is damper than Pamela Anderson's swinsuit, but as regards sheds in general it is auch a sweeping statement as to be meaningless.
All of my bikes live in my 12x8 wooden shed with no problems whatsoever. It is nice a dry and there is no dampness.

keithmac

Guru
GT85 is a great product, good for cleaning etc, it has PTFE.

Original WD40 is horrendous, reacts with rubber, leaves no lasting protection.

ACF50 was designed for aircraft, again excellent product for corrosion protection after a wash.

None of the above want spraying anywhere near the brake discs or pads as they are all lubricants to some degree.

keithmac

Guru
As for sheds, ventilation is the key, we have a 3m x 4m shed with proper vents and I've had parts stored in there for years with no issue.

Top Bottom