Bike storage over winter - outdoor shed, unheated garage, or slightly humid basement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
kitchen

mustang1

Legendary Member
Mine all sit in an unheated garage, they've never come to any harm. I think the oldest one in there (my pub bike) has been stored in that manner for 9 years now, hardly ever gets cleaned or maintained, and it's not suffered any.
If I rode my best bike on a very wet and mucky day, it would get a quick spray of GT85 and then into the garage, it'll get a wash and lube once it's dry outside.
Hi, what does the GT85 do... prevent rust?

mustang1

Legendary Member
The title has the options. Here's the issues:
  1. Outdoor shed -- least obtrusive, worst environment.
  2. Unheated attached garage -- better environment since temperature is moderated, but a bit in the way (even low-ceiling or wall mounted).
  3. Basement -- most moderate temperature by far, but somewhat humid first month or two, and most in the way.
Any suggestions about which way to go? Thanks.
Hi, why is the outdoor shed considered "worst environment" ?

Just moved house, the dedicated room for my bikes and soon to be my "pain cave" is still full of crap and will be for some time so for now my old cheap bike stays in the shed and the new expensive bike stays in the dining room.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hi, what does the GT85 do... prevent rust?
That's what I've always understood, that it (and similar sprays for that matter, MO94, WD40 ) help displace water and mitigate corrosion... it might be debatable, but it seems to help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Security is the main issue. My garage is a pain in the butt to get open, but hey ho. The shed aka summer house, is lovely and dry, but it's not secure for bikes - we never lock it. I work from it at the moment, but take the laptop and screens in.

If you've got a car in the garage, you possibly still need access down one side. You could hang on the wall of the passenger side, or suspend from the roof. I ended up with too many bikes, so the car had to move out. :laugh:

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's what I've always understood, that it (and similar sprays for that matter, MO94, WD40 ) help displace water and mitigate corrosion... it might be debatable, but it seems to help.
From their site I saw:
GT85 is ideal for cleaning and lubricating bike chains, frames, derailleurs, cables, levers, gears and more.
Might give that a shot.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
From their site I saw:
GT85 is ideal for cleaning and lubricating bike chains, frames, derailleurs, cables, levers, gears and more.
Might give that a shot.
Yeah it's good, spray it on all over (apologies to 'Enry). I've got Muc-Off's MO94 at the moment just because it was on a cheap offer when I bought it (it's dearer than GT85 normally), but they do the same thing. I used it before anyway, but then I realised that you could spray it straight on directly after a rainy ride and it does keep any metal parts protected. It's a bit lazy really, but it's better than leaving a wet chain.

rivers

How far can I go?
Two bikes live in my house, and 2 lived in the shed. I say lived because some toe rag literally ripped off half of the shed and took 2 of my bikes. The shed itself was a quite nice and expensive shed with a dead bolt, thick treated walls and floor/roof. But apparently people will go to great lengths to nick a couple of bikes.

bladesman73

Über Member
Sheds are ok to store your bike in. I top the outside roof of my shed with tarp for max damp protection and also keep one of those moisture tablet units in there. Simply gt85 the chain every month if you are not using the bike for a while to prevent rust on it. I also give rear cassette a spray of it. Make sure it is kept secure though

Top Bottom