Bike Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been back into cycling about a year now and appear to be in the middle of an "I need a better bike" phase.
At the moment the bike I'm riding is quite heavy due to the front suspension (cost about £350)

I'd like to upgrade to something better and have a budget of around £1.5k. Primary use is commuting (on reasonable tarmac - no cycle paths etc..; about 20miles per day ) - but I don't carry that much stuff so pannier mounts aren't necessary.

I've never spent this much on a bike before so am unfamiliar with the better brands. Does anyone have any suggestions?

kedab

Veteran
i'm completely obsessed with my Giant City Speed - £995 - i commute busy a-road and then city and it's lovely.

i am however completely new to all this so my opinion is a) bias to my bike and b) one of inexperience and therefore not much use :blush:

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
i'm completely obsessed with my Giant City Speed - £995 - i commute busy a-road and then city and it's lovely.

i am however completely new to all this so my opinion is a) bias to my bike and b) one of inexperience and therefore not much use :blush:
Inexperience or no, if your bike feels right to you then it's worth a look at. Cheers.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
At 20 miles a day on decent tarmac, I'd definately consider a 'proper' road bike at that sort of price, rather than a hybrid.

In fact at this sort of price point, almost all the major brands will have something nice in either high end alloy or carbon fibre. I'd be looking at something with a 105 groupset and something allong the lines of a Trek Madone 3.1, Specialized Roubaix, or whatever the equivalent Giant model is called this week :smile:

If you fancy something a bit different I think you should also consider the Van Nicholas Mistral. Titanium frame, decent components and not too "race" orientated.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
If you fancy something a bit different I think you should also consider the Van Nicholas Mistral. Titanium frame, decent components and not too "race" orientated.
I like the look of that - have emailed a place in Rotherham to see if they have any - would like to try one out to see if it'll suit. Just raises the Titanium vs Carbon issue!

Top Bottom