bike theft insurance..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Had a little search..
We have Barclays home insurance with 2.5k theft cover for each bike for theft but we want more cover.

We were thinking 4k cover for ebikes, for home break in theft, we dont leave them when in use.

Any good companies or cycle organisations that are sensible price wise?

vickster

Legendary Member
You could try Bikmo or similar, do some Googling. If you're a BC or CUK member, they may have agreements with specific companies and offer discount

Or call Barclays and ask if you can add a more expensive bike as a named item

I've not found bike specific insurance 'sensible' in the past, annual premium being around 10% of the value...so would be £400...as with all insurance it'll also be very dependent on your location.

Obviously, make sure the bikes are properly secured in something like an Asgard

tom73

Guru
we use Bikmo work's out the best for us. You can always do a quote and see what you think.
If you do go with them DM me for a link give you extra 5% off.

vickster

Legendary Member
I cancelled my home insurance and reinsured with PedalCover. Similar to Bikmo but better for my circumstances.
I have a home and lots of other stuff in it to insure however, and not just bikes. I'm about to insure the whole lot of under £250. Unlimited buildings, unlimited contents, legal, bikes up to £2500 away from home (accident and theft). There's no way I could insure 5 bikes with a combined value of maybe 6k for that with a bike insurer! (And my house and everything in it)

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a home and lots of other stuff in it to insure however, and not just bikes. I'm about to insure the whole lot of under £250. Unlimited buildings, unlimited contents, legal, bikes up to £2500 away from home (accident and theft). There's no way I could insure 5 bikes with a combined value of maybe 6k for that with a bike insurer! (And my house and everything in it)

That’s ok, it’s a free world. I wasn’t forcing anyone to do what I did. As I said, it suits MY CIRCUMSTANCES.

tom73

Guru
Yes I have the cheapest cover for home. No added extras like legal (get that via union) , freezer ect. We don't get any joint cover discounts as we don't need buildings cover. I've check up more than once and it's not worth it. If it work's for some that great for me it's not right cover.
Bike insurance covers , bike's (inc accidental cover), me ,( BC not worth it we get the discounts via other memberships) medical costs, optical (cost of one pair of glasses is more than policy cost) , dental ect due to accident. Sportive cover, bike transport cover, kit cover. So if you add in all that it's well worth it I can't get all that inc on the home policy or be subject to a max claim pre bike which some policies have.

Like i say if home insurance meet's your cover need's then go for it :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I have the cheapest cover for home. No added extras like legal (get that via union) , freezer ect. We don't get any joint cover discounts as we don't need buildings cover. I've check up more than once and it's not worth it. If it work's for some that great for me it's not right cover.
Bike insurance covers , bike's (inc accidental cover), me ,( BC not worth it we get the discounts via other memberships) medical costs, optical (cost of one pair of glasses is more than policy cost) , dental ect due to accident. Sportive cover, bike transport cover, kit cover. So if you add in all that it's well worth it I can't get all that inc on the home policy or be subject to a max claim pre bike which some policies have.

Like i say if home insurance meet's your cover need's then go for it :smile:

Greengrocer's union? :biggrin:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I read a post on Twitter by someone who'd been looking for theft and accidental damage cover for his road bike (no value mentioned) and he'd found that his own house insurance company would add that cover on at no extra charge and £100 excess. It was Zurich.

Top Bottom