Bike thief stopped by members of the public in Cardiff.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Well if prison's with reoffending rate's as high of 70% get your vote then fine carry on. As for not caring like I said most come out so if as a society we can't even show them even basic standard's of society. Than how do we even being to believe they will know how act once out? It's also worth remembering many you don't care about will be on remand so have not been found guilty of a crime so we should treat them just the same ? Like i said anyone of us can find ourselves locked up. As you will know from the well balanced and informed new's a common past time is to spike stuff and give it to someone and watch what happen's for a laugh. One such case was a 23 year old who was serving a short sentence for a petty crime he had such a bad trip he gouged is own eye's out. But that never get's reported. I'd prefer to care enough to try and stop them getting near the prison gate. If you don't care what happen's to then they only have crime to fall back on so the likelihood is your at even greater risk of your bike getting stolen or house getting turned over. If the current way work's then we'd not have so many going round and round the system. Forward thinking countries worked this out year's ago e.g Netherland's have such a low crime rate they can't fill prison's and busy closing them
we are busy building them at great public expense.

OK then....

I did know about the spike issue you mention because it has been reported in the media although not the specific incident you mention.

I referred to criminals not innocent people on remand.

I think I made clear no issue with reabilitation if it works then seems the best option. However if locking people up for longer is more effective I would support that. I'm just a bit sceptical about the effectiveness of reabilitation.

Prevention is better than cure you get no argument from me it's clearly better to stop people offending in the first place but it's very difficult to do.

I don't think that criminals care about my welfare and I have no interest in thier welfare.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just because someones on remand doesn't mean they're innocent of a crime. Assumptions can swing in both directions.

Drago

Legendary Member
Weigh them down with rocks and send them for a swim. If they sink, they're guilty. If they float, they're witches and should be burned!

On a serious note, if you're found guilty then every day spent on remand counts as 2 off your sentence. They should knock that on the head for a start.

lane

Veteran
Just because someones on remand doesn't mean they're innocent of a crime. Assumptions can swing in both directions.

Yes I know and was deliberately refering to inocent people on remand rather than all people on remand. I would - perhaps wrongly - assume most were criminals.

Drago

Legendary Member
Legally innocent, yes.

Innocent by virtue of their actions, no.

The moment you commit a crime you are actually guilty. The moment you're convicted you become legally guilty.

Alan O

Über Member
Forward thinking countries worked this out year's ago e.g Netherlands have such a low crime rate they can't fill prisons and busy closing them
we are busy building them at great public expense.
Hmm, I see an outsourcing opportunity for the Dutch here :whistle:

Top Bottom