Bike thief stopped by members of the public in Cardiff.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
S***bags don't think any further than the next fix. The irony is that if they put as much effort and ingenuity into legal activities most of them would be millionaires.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just give them all the free drugs they want, then they'll stop stealing. Too many free drugs and they may also stop breathing, but thats their choice.

If community based programmes work and reabilitate great it is a cost effective solution - but I am sceptical. Is there evidence this approach works?

Come and visit where I work and I'll show you around. We have a very high success rate with the majority of people who come to us getting into work or training afterwards. A good number of offenders who come to us for community service apply to stay on after to prepare for 'normal' work again.

Bodhbh

Guru
One thing that would deter bike thieves would be if more people were brave enough to confront them in the act. This guy clearly didn't think stealing bikes in a busy area was in any way risky for him.

Can't help but thinking if he was properly tooled up with bolt croppers rather than the playschool hacksaw, he'd have cut the cable un-noticed or at least before it fully dawned on the bystanders what was going on. Or put on some hi-viz and a cheap cycle helmet.

I'm not sure that with many criminals it is a deterent or that any other approach will stop them offending. However while in prison they cannot offend so in that sense prison works. If community based programmes work and reabilitate great it is a cost effective solution - but I am sceptical. Is there evidence this approach works?

Just had a quick look. Kulturwerk, where I currently work, has an 81% success rate. That means 81% of our clients finish their community service, manage to finish their therapy, improve their social competence, get off addictions, or improve their suitability for work. Since 1996 30 people were trained here for different jobs, which means a full 3 year vocational qualification recognised throughout Germany. From experience many of our trainees come to us through an addiction therapy or community service, stay on, apply for training and leave with a qualification.

65% of our clients have addiction issues when they come to us, and 26% another Psychological illness.

Unfortunately that still leaves the other 19%. I'm sitting waiting for one of them at the moment which is why I can loaf about writing this in work time...

[Edited because I apparently have spellchecker depency]

Last edited:
I saw two bike thieves testing cables at the lockup of the local railway station. They were carrying a long screwdriver and looked pretty rough sorts, even for n'er do wells. I declined to challenge them and told the station staff.

lane

Veteran
I saw two bike thieves testing cables at the lockup of the local railway station. They were carrying a long screwdriver and looked pretty rough sorts, even for n'er do wells. I declined to challenge them and told the station staff.

I don't blame you. All very well to say people should challenge but not worth ending up dead - I have my children to be around for so would think twice before getting involved and getting stabbed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Can't help but thinking if he was properly tooled up with bolt croppers rather than the playschool hacksaw, he'd have cut the cable un-noticed or at least before it fully dawned on the bystanders what was going on. Or put on some hi-viz and a cheap cycle helmet.

Adjusting the seat was a bit of a giveaway. ^_^

lane

Veteran
@line never been in a prison have you ? Prison’s are full of offending it happen’s every day.( In fact some commit crime in order to get set down as they can make more money in side then out.) As it only happen’s behind closed door’s it’s ok? Massive over crowding + massive understaffing with violence like you can’t imagine , drugs , cuts in training , support program’s that are a joke, forced lock down’s up to 23 hours a day (so even if you can get training no staff to take you) thrown in = one hell of a mess , with little hope of help to get in better shape then when you went in. Some don’t even make it out in one piece or worse. It’s in everyone interest we get this right very few get locked up for life most come out at some point and no matter who you anyone can find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Restorative justice work’s and is effective I work in it and see it working every day. Some will never turn away from crime no matter what. But anything has to be better than just saying want’s the point. Offending is complex and hard to go into the real detail on here.

The one thing that’s much better than anything else is early intervention before they even get to committing crime but that cost’s, is complex and take’s time. But tell you this much when it work’s it make’s you want to do it all over again.

Was that directed at me - not sure Line / Lane?

No I have never been required to go to prison. Nevertheless I am not unaware of the points you make they are well reported in the media. With regard to community reabilitation great if it works its a cost efective option for society then. I am also more aware of reasons for offending, background etc. than you assume. Nontheless I just don't really care at all about criminals or thier quality of life or thier prospects for the future. Sorry but I just don't. I just don't want my bike stolen or house broken into. If community reabilitation achieves that then great, but if locking them up for years is more effective then that will get my vote. Problem is as a society we don't really do either.

Drago

Legendary Member
While they're locked up society at large is protected from their offending. That's good enough for me, and should be the prime motivation of the justice system.

tom73

Guru
Well if prison's with reoffending rate's as high of 70% get your vote then fine carry on. As for not caring like I said most come out so if as a society we can't even show them even basic standard's of society. Than how do we even being to believe they will know how act once out? It's also worth remembering many you don't care about will be on remand so have not been found guilty of a crime so we should treat them just the same ? Like i said anyone of us can find ourselves locked up. As you will know from the well balanced and informed new's a common past time is to spike stuff and give it to someone and watch what happen's for a laugh. One such case was a 23 year old who was serving a short sentence for a petty crime he had such a bad trip he gouged is own eye's out. But that never get's reported. I'd prefer to care enough to try and stop them getting near the prison gate. If you don't care what happen's to then they only have crime to fall back on so the likelihood is your at even greater risk of your bike getting stolen or house getting turned over. If the current way work's then we'd not have so many going round and round the system. Forward thinking countries worked this out year's ago e.g Netherland's have such a low crime rate they can't fill prison's and busy closing them
we are busy building them at great public expense.

Top Bottom