Bike thief stopped by members of the public in Cardiff.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Agreed I posted elsewhere about someone local to me given a similar sentance for a second offence and stealing a number of bikes - within a few weeks of being sentanced for the first offenc. I can't really see these very short sentances achieve anything.

Drago

Legendary Member
He's gone too far down the line for restorative justice to prevent him reoffending. Shame he didnt try pinching bikes in Tehran, they're pretty good at cutting down on repeat offending.

Ever been in one ?
I worked in one as an apprentice carpenter ( Brixton A wing ) The most horrible place i have ever been and i was allowed in and out when ever i wanted ( took an hour to go in and out )
Aye, loads.

Prison of any length is not a deterrent. Any fule no dat.

lane

Veteran
I'm not sure that with many criminals it is a deterent or that any other approach will stop them offending. However while in prison they cannot offend so in that sense prison works. If community based programmes work and reabilitate great it is a cost effective solution - but I am sceptical. Is there evidence this approach works?

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
One thing that would deter bike thieves would be if more people were brave enough to confront them in the act. This guy clearly didn't think stealing bikes in a busy area was in any way risky for him.

tom73

Guru
@line never been in a prison have you ? Prison’s are full of offending it happen’s every day.( In fact some commit crime in order to get set down as they can make more money in side then out.) As it only happen’s behind closed door’s it’s ok? Massive over crowding + massive understaffing with violence like you can’t imagine , drugs , cuts in training , support program’s that are a joke, forced lock down’s up to 23 hours a day (so even if you can get training no staff to take you) thrown in = one hell of a mess , with little hope of help to get in better shape then when you went in. Some don’t even make it out in one piece or worse. It’s in everyone interest we get this right very few get locked up for life most come out at some point and no matter who you anyone can find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Restorative justice work’s and is effective I work in it and see it working every day. Some will never turn away from crime no matter what. But anything has to be better than just saying want’s the point. Offending is complex and hard to go into the real detail on here.

The one thing that’s much better than anything else is early intervention before they even get to committing crime but that cost’s, is complex and take’s time. But tell you this much when it work’s it make’s you want to do it all over again.

Top Bottom