Bike thief targets moving car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's criminally stupid!

Musa has had two bikes stolen yet he still insists on displaying his valuable bike on the boot rack like a trophy? Only two people in the car so why doesn't he remove the wheels and hide it in the boot where it's safe from theft and damage?

I always carry my bike in the car, my car isn`t big by any means (I have an Astra), and the bike fits in the back without even taking either of the wheels off

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I like how DM said it 'was planned' as if the thief knew they were driving down the exact stretch of road days in advance and waited for the right time to pounce...

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If, as the DM states, it's "dashcam footage", does that mean the bike was mounted on the front of the car, which was travelling backwards at the time of the attempted theft ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Judging from the way the bike is set up I'd guess the owner lacks experience. There's an automatic assumption that you need a roof or boot carrier and it takes a bit of time for the realisation to sink in that inside the car is a much much safer place. Would you believe, I've actually seen people driving vans and empty SUVs with bikes displayed like trophies on the roof or a towbar carrier.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I knew somebody whose expensive mountain bike became detached at the clamp and hung from the boot rack by its wheels, dragging along the M6 between Chorley and the Lake District. They didn't notice and nobody alerted them or they didn't notice anybody trying to alert them. By the time they did realise, one handlebar had been neatly machined down a few inches by speeding tarmac, the wear line was halfway through the brake fluid reservoir.

Top Bottom