Bike train reservations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Just wanted to get an opinion, please…
I'm booked on a Greater Anglia train from Liverpool Street to Norwich on Saturday afternoon for the Norwich 100 on the Sunday.
Unfortunately I've been unable to get a bike reservation, presumably because the train's space is full of others heading for the same event.
From recall the bike spaces on GA services on that route are behind the front driving coach.
Does anyone think I could wing it with the bike and turn up anyway?
Or will I get turned away?
I could use a Brommie, but it's logistically impossible for reasons too complex to detail.
Cheers, C

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's a toughie.

My experience of other operators is numbers of bikes carried seems to be at the whim of train/platform staff on the day.

My tactic would be to turn up on the platform in good time to establish a place in any 'queue' of cyclists milling around for the same reason.

At the very least aim to be with the bike on the platform where it needs to be loaded when the train pulls in.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you already have the train ticket, you don't have much option than to turn up, as Pale Rider says, nice and early to claim first dibs.
You are more likely to be gagging on the smell of Patchouli Oil from all the Rod Stewart fans going to the gig at Norwich football ground on Saturday evening.

Jaykun85

Useless anyway I reserved a space for a bike but when I got there there was already two bike on the train. So was waste time reserving Most train conductors will let it on anyway and if get there first even better

As long as the conductors know, it's normally fine. They often have asked that one bike is elsewhere on the train to ensure no jam.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was on one of my very occasional train journeys TO Liverpool recently and there at least 3 bikes in.
A question!!
Assuming they are all locked up and an owner needs to get off BEFORE Norwich how will that work? The other owners may be unaware of the problem.

Goofball

Here on weekdays, the bike space is for bikes only after 09:30am, weekends all day.

I left mine at the station in one of those blue bike bins, but my friend who got on later used his to cycle across tow to work brough his.
This was at about 06:00am weekdays.

It's up to the conductor how many bikes they allow and if they allow them at off times.

I have seen five or six bikes in the bike area and another three at the door that's not needed most of the way.

So be friendly with the conductors, get to know them if you can and they will be more helpfull.

On a side note, the seats where the bikes go are not just for riders, anyone can sit anywhere.

subaqua

What’s the point
The Norwich train is normally a loco hauled thing with a great big guards van though.
I know and have had to lock bike on Stratford station when going to Colchester on it at 6am as the train crew have been arsèholes. Only the fact the platform staff have seen what's going on ensured I didn't miss train .

Dave7

Legendary Member
You are asked not to lock your bike to the train.
I have read of people doing that (not locking) and someone knicking them.
Though I suppose if you simply lock it (but not to the train)..that would prevent most thefts but ....what if your bike is behind 2 bikes which are locked??

Top Bottom