Bike trends that went out of fashion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Double and triple clangers.
Tubs.
Horizontal top-tubes.
Round seatposts.
Metal.
Headbadges.
Lugs!
Panniers (it's all about the bikepacking now).

clangers - are you referring to the TV series?

or the seat tube levers you had to bend down to shift the chain on the front - I had one of these.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are plenty of them around.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Even more of them seem to be driving motor vehicles, though ;)

BorderReiver

Veteran
Spats! These would be really useful if they made a comeback and were manufactured out of a suitable breathable material. Kept the bottom half of your legs dry but weren't too hot and sweaty.

Spokey dokeys, playing cards held onto the seat stays with clothes pegs, hitting the spokes, to sound like a motorbike. One bar grip, replaced with a battery powered twist grip thing, that emulated various engine noises. Mag wheels on a Raleigh BMX. Rotors on the stem of a BMX. Air powered groupsets.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's one sight that's a rarity nowadays.On Christmas day the street was awash with new Christmas present bikes..
Not rare here. Can't say about the Christmas bit but one of my very young neices already has a pedal trike which just makes me :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That's one sight that's a rarity nowadays.On Christmas day the street was awash with new Christmas present bikes..

Do recall last year walking in Dunham Massey a day or two after Christmas and seeing loads of kids on new bikes and balance bikes. Not aware of it being translated into kids on bikes on the road, but may be it is the times I ride or the places I ride which give me this impression.

simongt

Guru
I do remember having the little 6" ish alloy mudguards, which seemed to do very little
When I rebuilt a Dawes Fox a few years back, I recut the grotty metal mudguards into these wee mudguards - very fashionable at the time - for the simple reason that they help to keep dust, dirt & other debris from getting shotblasted into the brake spindles. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom