Bike trends that went out of fashion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yes I had Wonderlights, they ran off a doorbell battery and you'd have been better off with candles on the bike, I can't believe I trained down pitch black lanes with them on the bike. The plastic brackets would go brittle after 12-18 months then shatter when you put the lights on the bike.

They were proper shoot, but it was either those, Ever-ready or nick the corroded old dynamo off your dad's bike back then.

D

Deleted member 1258

Cycling capes

I've still got my old cape.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
This is not a bike tend but more of a rider trend I saw today. As I was driving home from work today I spotted an elderly lady setting off on her bike. Nowadays most cyclists I see, just cock there leg over and start pedalling but this lady ,set off in fashion I haven't seen for years .She stood by the side of her bike and put one foot on the pedal whilst scooting her other leg along to gain momentum before mounting the bike.
Wow a blast from the past. My Gran used to set off like that many many moons ago :-)

midlife

Guru
Flint catchers lol

mb-higgitt-rb6.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have always idly wondered, if your normal bike was broken and you only had a penny farthing at at back of the shed - could you use it for a utility ride? If you could avoid stopping, have somewhere suitable to mount and dismount and legs for the extreme fixed gearing?

Remember the gearing is quite low on a penny farthing. Important to makes sure it's got a back brake though else you could be in a right pickle.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Long socks with the trousers tucked in, as worn by the guy pushing off. Every club cyclist wore those during the winter -

timekeeper-start.jpg

Don't see many cycling capes these days out on the roads although there is an apparent market for them still. Not the most aero piece of apparel.

Top Bottom