Bike upgrade - help needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz1987

First off im new to the forum so hi to everyone, im hoping that people could help me out with some questions I have.

I am looking to upgrade my current hardtail rather than purchase another.
I currently have a standard Kona shred 2009.

I use this bike as a bit of an all rounder but the main things I do will be trail riding some downhill sections and dirt jumps.

I was hoping that someone could help me out with improving my bike, I have noticed that gear change is a little sloppy so was planning on removing the front shifter and just sticking with the 8 speed on the back. I was thinking of upgrading the shifter and taking a link out of the chain to improve changing gear.

As for my budget I dont want to go to mad but would like to have a nice stiff setup that will take a little bit of everything if that is possible.

Any other help is appreciated.

hi gaz and welcome.
Im sure someone here will be able to help you.

Zoof

Hi gaz1987 welcome to the forum
biggrin.gif

Can you give give some more detail on the problem with the gear change.

Because normally shifters don’t wear out that fast.

I would check for end float on the jockey wheels first.

Try this site for info on yer gears can save you a lot of cash!
wave.gif

http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

OP
OP
G

Gaz1987

Hi everyone thanks for getting back to me.

I was more interested in a 8 speed shifter as I have been told these are pretty good, I dont use the gears all that often so an extra few will proberly never be used.
I do not mind at all if I get a second hand shifter or a new one as long as it works well and is in good condition.

With regard to taking a link or two off the chain I thought this would be a good move as long as I did not go mad and take too many as there is some slack in the chain so I thought taking some out would help shiffting and any chain jumping.

"Sloppy shiffiting" was the best way I could describe I just find that there is a little bit of a delay compared to other shifters I have used on other bikes. One of the brake lines was changed around a year or just over a go and to be honest all look fine as the bike hasn't really had much action in the last few years.

I am really just after somethings that will tweek my bike and make it a little better to ride.

I will take a look at the links and other info that have been shown so thanks for them. ;)

A single speed to be honest would not really suit how I ride as I like a few gears as I occasionly do some small hills and they help just with a general ride.

If there are any other things people may think will improve my bike I would really like to hear about them, anything at all as my aim is to customise the bike a little to improve anything that will make a difference without going mad.

Hope that all makes sense and once again thanks for your help.

Top Bottom